Confusion on mechanics problem involving cart, blocks, and pulley

In summary, the mechanics problem involving a cart, blocks, and pulley can be confusing due to the various forces and components involved. The problem may require understanding of concepts such as friction, tension, and Newton's laws of motion. It is important to carefully analyze the given information and to draw free-body diagrams in order to solve the problem accurately. Additionally, understanding the relationships between the different variables and their effects on each other is crucial in finding the correct solution. With proper analysis and application of relevant principles, the confusion surrounding this type of mechanics problem can be overcome.
jbriggs444 said:
What I see here is a formula for (b) that evaluates to ##a## which you have agreed is the acceleration of ##m_1##. However, (b) was supposed to be about the acceleration of ##m_2##.

I suspect that it is a correct answer for (d). Though I have not verified the formula.

What I also see here is a formula for (d) that evaluates to ##a-A## which you have agreed is the acceleration of ##m_2##. However, (d) was supposed to be about the acceleration of ##m_1##.

I suspect that this is a correct answer for (b). Though I have not verified the formula.
That is exactly the crux of my issue. I was able to obtain the same equations in my solution but I was utterly confused why the author seemingly did a switcheroo.

Physics news on Phys.org
niko_niko said:
That is exactly the crux of my issue. I was able to obtain the same equations in my solution but I was utterly confused why the author seemingly did a switcheroo.
So your concern all along was not with the consistency of the accelerations. Or the correctness of the solutions. It was with labelling.

jbriggs444 said:
What I see here is a formula for (b) that evaluates to ##a## which you have agreed is the acceleration of ##m_1##. However, (b) was supposed to be about the acceleration of ##m_2##.

I suspect that it is a correct answer for (d). Though I have not verified the formula.

What I also see here is a formula for (d) that evaluates to ##a-A## which you have agreed is the acceleration of ##m_2##. However, (d) was supposed to be about the acceleration of ##m_1##.

I suspect that this is a correct answer for (b). Though I have not verified the formula.
Did you see post #27?
I have verified the formula for ##a##.