1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What resources are there for RSA for the layman?

1. Apr 2, 2017 #1
    I am looking for any resources which explain the RSA algorithm for the layman. I have found a number of sources but they all tend to end with a morass of technical details. This is for a first year undergraduate course in number theory who have covered some basic work on modular arithmetic.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2017 #2
    I started with "A Concrete Introduction into Higher Algebra" by Lindsay Childs, Ch. 14. The chapter has a simple example. It' a little tough but try to muscle-through it. Good cooks try again.

4. Apr 2, 2017 #3

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

The steps of the algorithm in rough lines are

1 Generate two (large) prime numbers ##p_1, p_2## // steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 executed from server in advance
    2 Take their product ##k = p_1p_2##
    3 Let function ##f## be such that ##m = f(k) = (p_1 - 1)(p_2 - 1)##
    4 Choose a prime number ##p_3## that is co-prime to ##m## with ##GCD(m, p_3) = 1## where ##1 \lt p_3 \lt m## // ##k , p_3## is the public key
    5 Choose a number ##n## such that ##p_3n \pmod m = 1## //server keeps ##n, m## as its secret key
    6 Encrypt message M: ##E = M^{p_3} \pmod k## // Browser encrypts the message using this formula and creates the encrypted E message
    7 Decrypt message E: ##M = E^n \pmod k## // Server uses this math to decrypt E and effectively recover M

If you put some (preferably small in order to verify) numbers you can have a more practical sense about the algorithm.

5. Apr 2, 2017 #4
    I know of no better introduction than this excellent article to be found in an old Quantum magazine: Fermat’s Little Theorem (proving its value to mathematicians), V. Senderov and A. Spivak, May/Jun00, p14 (Feature)
    http://static.nsta.org/pdfs/QuantumV10N5.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted