What is the most motivating way to introduce primitive roots

In summary, a primitive root is a number that generates all the numbers in a given modular arithmetic system when raised to different powers. They are important in number theory, cryptography, and other areas of mathematics and can be found using the primitive root theorem or trial and error. Not every number has a primitive root, and they are used in cryptography for key generation and security purposes.
matqkks
I am teaching elementary number theory to first year undergraduate students. How do introduce the order of an integer modulo n and primitive roots? How do I make this a motivating topic and are there any applications of this area? I am looking at something which will have an impact.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure whether this is motivating or not, because motivation depends a lot on personal views. An example could be the discrete Fourier transformation, or IIRC algorithms to breach an RSA coding, i.e. factorizing algorithms, or encryption in general.

1. What is a primitive root?

A primitive root is a number that, when raised to different powers, generates all of the numbers in a given modular arithmetic system.

2. Why are primitive roots important?

Primitive roots are important because they have many applications in number theory, cryptography, and other areas of mathematics. They also provide a way to efficiently calculate large powers in modular arithmetic.

3. How do you find primitive roots?

Finding primitive roots can be a difficult problem, but there are some strategies that can be used. One method is to use the primitive root theorem, which states that if a primitive root exists, it must be a factor of a certain number. Another approach is to use trial and error to test different numbers until a primitive root is found.

4. Can every number have a primitive root?

No, not every number has a primitive root. In fact, there are only certain numbers that have primitive roots, and these numbers are related to the prime factors of the number.

5. How are primitive roots used in cryptography?

In cryptography, primitive roots are used as part of the key generation process for certain encryption algorithms. They also play a role in the security of these algorithms, as a lack of primitive roots can make the encryption vulnerable to attacks.