What second major would make me more employable?

• Programs
  • Thread starter hamsa0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, if you want to have a good job prospects out of college, you should major in one of the engineering disciplines and minor in physics.
hamsa0
Hey PF, so like a lot of phys undergrads I've been thinking about what my job prospects are going to be out of college. I'd like to have options open to me other than teaching, so my question to you is this:

If I were to double major in physics and either aeronautical engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science, which combination would probably give me the best job opportunities out of college, and would having physics in addition to that second major really help me that much?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are concerned about your career prospects you should major in one of those engineering disciplines and minor in physics. I've never considered minors to be that helpful anyways, but YMMV.

You can do what physicist who don't want a PhD do. Get a Master in an engineering field.

It depends on what you want to do that matters. If your only concern is employability, you might want to go the route of biomedical, civil, or environmental engineering instead. There are numerous computer and electrical engineers out there, and you'll be competeing with them for jobs. The Occupational Outlook Handbook http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm" lists these in the top as far as future outlook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Is it that easy to do your undergrad in physics and then go to get your master's in an engineering field? I've been told it's almost impossible. I'm mainly interested in electrical engineering and computer science. And in response to daveb, I'm not really into the idea of civil or environmental but I haven't thought much about biomedical so I'll check that out (thx).

hamsa0 said:
Hmm. Is it that easy to do your undergrad in physics and then go to get your master's in an engineering field? I've been told it's almost impossible. I'm mainly interested in electrical engineering and computer science. And in response to daveb, I'm not really into the idea of civil or environmental but I haven't thought much about biomedical so I'll check that out (thx).

I am not a physicist. I am an engineer turned economist. However, I've met physicist doing Master's degree in many engineering fields. They did it, why not you?

hamsa0 said:

That's not true. I know quite a few people who got masters in engineering with physics backgrounds. In fact the general consensus among people I talk to is that the reverse switch(from engineering undergrad to physics grad school) is harder.

A physics undergrad will give you the background you need to do an electrical engineering masters. If your worried, take some EE courses as electives while your still an undergrad.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just having the door open for a masters in engineering in the future is really exciting to me. I looked into this a bit deeper and I guess 40% of physics bachelor's who have a masters within 4 years of graduation have the masters in engineering or some science other than physics, and of that category, about 35% end up employed in engineering and about 15% are employed in software (that was as of '02 but at least that gives some sense). So that's actually a pretty favorable distribution as you guys suggested. :D

1. What are the most in-demand second majors for employability?

Some of the most in-demand second majors for employability include computer science, business, engineering, data science, and finance.

2. Will having a second major increase my chances of getting hired?

Having a second major can definitely increase your chances of getting hired, as it shows potential employers that you have a diverse skill set and are capable of handling different roles and responsibilities.

3. Can I choose any second major to make me more employable?

While any second major can potentially make you more employable, it's important to choose one that complements your primary major and aligns with your career goals. For example, if your primary major is psychology and you want to work in human resources, a second major in business or management would be more beneficial than a second major in art history.

4. Are there any majors that are not recommended for increasing employability?

There are no specific majors that are not recommended for increasing employability, as any major can provide valuable skills and knowledge. However, some majors may require additional certifications or specialized training to make you more competitive in the job market.

5. Can I pursue a second major while still focusing on my primary major?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a second major while still focusing on your primary major. However, it's important to carefully manage your time and prioritize your coursework to ensure you can successfully complete both majors. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor for guidance on balancing your coursework.