1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should be the influence of the imaginary part on a complex number?

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    Hi,

What should be the influence of the imaginary part on a complex number?

I am asking because I am running a simulation model where the input is a complex number; say z=a+ib
    Now the problem is that I get the same result when I put a=0 and give some high value to b, as when I do the vice-versa.

Should this behaviour be expected?

I look forward to a reply. Thank you in advance.
    Regards,
    Ila

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure your question is too general to be given a meaningful reply. What sort of simulation is it? What, specifically, is the input modeling? As far as I understand, the imaginary part of a complex number refers to a quantity of rotation around the complex plane, where the real part refers to the radius of said rotation. Though even this description is likely insufficient.

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3
    Hey! Thanks for your reply. The input is the stiffness and damping coefficients of a material. And youre right; the stiffness corresponds to the amplitude and damping to the phase of the resulting vibrations.
    I would expect different results if I change the stiffness and the damping of a material separately. But here i get the same result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook