What should be the influence of the imaginary part on a complex number?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
pseudorandom
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

What should be the influence of the imaginary part on a complex number?

I am asking because I am running a simulation model where the input is a complex number; say z=a+ib
Now the problem is that I get the same result when I put a=0 and give some high value to b, as when I do the vice-versa.

Should this behaviour be expected?

I look forward to a reply. Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Ila
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure your question is too general to be given a meaningful reply. What sort of simulation is it? What, specifically, is the input modeling? As far as I understand, the imaginary part of a complex number refers to a quantity of rotation around the complex plane, where the real part refers to the radius of said rotation. Though even this description is likely insufficient.
 
Hey! Thanks for your reply. The input is the stiffness and damping coefficients of a material. And youre right; the stiffness corresponds to the amplitude and damping to the phase of the resulting vibrations.
I would expect different results if I change the stiffness and the damping of a material separately. But here i get the same result.