What should be the order of things on an introduction to pure maths?

In summary, the conversation is about producing a resource that introduces a number theory module. The topics to be included are sets, logic and proofs, numbers (irrational, integers, rational), binomial theorem, geometric series, inequalities, and definitions of terms like identity, polynomial, symmetry, sigma and product notation. The best way to order these topics is by following a chronological approach and discussing the contributions of great mathematicians such as Diophant, Fermat, Euler, Gauß, Dedekind, Cantor, Vieta, Abel, and Galois. The conversation also suggests exploring the origin of the number 0 in India and possibly making a detour to ancient Greece and geometry. The narrative could end with the story
matqkks
I want to produce a resource that has a narrative and includes the following topics:

Sets, logic and proofs, numbers (irrational, integers, rational, …), binomial theorem, geometric series, inequalities, define things like identity, polynomial, symmetry, sigma and product notation.

It is in aid as an introduction to a number theory module.

How should I order these so that the end document has a narrative and is coherent, not just disjoint set of topics?

Science news on Phys.org
I would proceed chronological and by great mathematicians: numbers, Diophant, Fermat, Euler, Gauß, Dedekind and Cantor, maybe Vieta, Abel and Galois, too. I'm not sure whether this would cover such more or less trivial things like binomial formulas or notation, i.e. whether the research to figure it out is worth it, but at least it provides a general route.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159 and matqkks
E.g. I once searched for the origin of ##0## which in my opinion is the crucial step: the first time we named something that isn't there! IIRC I ended up in India some 5,000 years ago. The ciphers as we write them today made their way from India over Arabia to Europe and into the world. Many think it was arabic, but this isn't true. They got it from India, e.g. from a book of Aryabhata. The ciphers as we write them are significantly older, but also from India.

Then you can decide whether you will follow their way, or make a detour to ancient Greece and geometry. I would end the story with Andrew Wiles, so it becomes a nice little narrative. However, it takes a bit of time to tell it.

Likes matqkks

1. What is the purpose of an introduction to pure maths?

An introduction to pure maths is meant to provide a foundation for understanding and exploring the fundamental concepts and principles of pure mathematics. It serves as a starting point for delving into more advanced topics and lays the groundwork for developing analytical and problem-solving skills.

2. What topics should be covered in an introduction to pure maths?

The specific topics covered in an introduction to pure maths may vary, but generally it should include basic concepts such as sets, functions, number systems, algebra, geometry, and logic. It may also touch on more advanced topics such as calculus, probability, and statistics.

3. Is an introduction to pure maths suitable for beginners?

Yes, an introduction to pure maths is typically designed for beginners with little to no background in mathematics. It is meant to provide a gentle introduction to the subject and build a strong foundation for further study in pure maths.

4. How important is it to understand pure maths for other scientific fields?

Pure maths is essential for many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides a framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems and phenomena, and is often used to develop mathematical models and algorithms for solving real-world problems.

5. What can I expect to gain from studying an introduction to pure maths?

Studying an introduction to pure maths can provide a range of benefits, including improved critical thinking and problem-solving skills, a better understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, and the ability to apply mathematical reasoning to various situations. It can also open up opportunities for further study and careers in fields such as research, education, and finance.