1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should I do about my situation?

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    Well, it would be a long story, but I'll try to make it shorter:

I could somehow say that there are two types of admissions in a public university in my country. "Traditional" and a new model recently approved by the government, which could be compared to SAT. I intend to enter a university which uses the "Traditional" model and requires a vast knowledge in Science and Math.

My school focuses on preparing students for admission through the new model. The problem is that the new model does not require profound Math and Science, then, I could say I learn "dumbed down math and science" in school, so I won't be learning these subjects on the level I will be required.

My situation is: I have 1 year and 8 months to get prepared, admission test is really hard (though IPhO and IIT-JEE are a lot harder), school is "useless", teachers are very good, but not enough to help me through my path, the schools focused on what I want exist only in another states, so I'm basically left alone. What should I do? Stop paying attention to my math and science classes and study alone during these? Keep watching them, even though, I've already seen what we are studying in a much harder level? I know I still have a lot to learn with my teachers, but I'm really afraid of not being able to get admitted...

(Still is quite a long text, sorry...)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2
    It sounds like if school is useless and you need to learn, you have to take matters into your own hands. How you go about doing that is more complicated. Are you given a lot of busywork? If your homework is minimal, you should be able to devote 2-4 hours a night studies and up to 8 hours a day on weekends if you really wanted to. You can study in class, but it really depends on what your class is. If you're taking basic precalculus, for example, but you are teaching yourself calculus, then paying attention in class is likely pointless.

Perhaps you can talk to your teachers about this and tell them what you just told us.

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd be careful about not going to your classes - that might end up being a mistake. Maybe you can use them as a foundation for deeper study, and ask the teachers to help you.

Do you have a study guide for the test you'll be taking?

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4
    Bearded Man:

Yes, I have almost no homework. I already put some quite time in studying, I get some harder books, and try to study, however I get a little demotivated when I see that there are some students that put a lot of efforts in studying for the same admission and have the school to properly prepare them, I feel like my school is delaying my progress instead of helping me...

Lisab:

Well, I'm obligated to show up for the classes, so, the question would be to pay attention to them or not... The problem with my classes is that I know most of what is being teached and in a deeper level, so they become useless. The university provides a study guide and I already planned most of my steps. But, as I've said before, school is delaying me. A simple analogy would be: teacher shows that 2+2+2=6, I am already in: 2x4 = 8, test requires that I know: 2^4 = 16, this would be an adequate proportion to show what I'm going through.

Well, it's already a little bit late, maybe I'll check this thread when I wake up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook