What Should I Do About My Low GPA and Transfer Plans in Electrical Engineering?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
brotivation
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I'm majoring in electrical engineering right now. My GPA is currently at around a 3.0-3.15. I lacked motivation all throughout my entire academic career. It's only been recent that I have been trying harder. I applied to many UC's already, but I know there isn't really much hope there since many require a GPA of 3.2-3.5 minimum, and I already logged in so many units that I would have to get a ton of A's in 5 unit courses just to raise my GPA by a little bit. I have one failed math class that I could not get into this semester because of the long wait list. I have about 1-1.5 years left of undergrad for my major. I just need 2 math classes and 3 physics courses. Anyone know of any schools I should apply to that has a respectable engineering department? Anywhere in the U.S. Also, any advice for me? I'm trying to get back on track,
 
Physics news on Phys.org


What does your academic advisor suggest?
 


Vanadium 50 said:
What does your academic advisor suggest?

I don't have one. I've been suggested many things by many different counselors. I have no clue what to do to be honest. I'm just taking classes that's all. I just finished all my GE. Working on Major requirement classes now.
 


I have never heard of a student at a CC without an academic advisor. Are you sure you don't have one? If you wanted to change classes, who would you talk to?
 


Also, if you have only taken courses at community college, it is highly unlikely that you will have "only 1-1.5" years of undergrad left. 4 year schools are not in the market of letting people sign on for a year to finish out their degrees. It does not make sense economically.
 


Vanadium 50 said:
I have never heard of a student at a CC without an academic advisor. Are you sure you don't have one? If you wanted to change classes, who would you talk to?

When I need to change classes, I just do it myself online. They have classes for me to see online on a website (assist.org). And I have just been following that. They do have advisers, but I have always led me to take different classes, so I've been confused as to what to do. Now I just follow the assist.org site because it's clear. I talked to an adviser and he said I should do SDSU, which is near my home, but the problem is that It's harder to get into SDSU because it's not part of my schools TAG programs.

Saladsamurai said:
Also, if you have only taken courses at community college, it is highly unlikely that you will have "only 1-1.5" years of undergrad left. 4 year schools are not in the market of letting people sign on for a year to finish out their degrees. It does not make sense economically.

Sorry I don't mean undergrad hehe I meant lower division coursework.