What Should I do for a Math Project?

• Thread starter sheldonrocks97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, my professor says that the project can be about anything as long as it is about math. She didn't mention any specific topics, but some things to think about might be Fourier series, calculus in nonstandard analysis, optimization problems, and applying calculus to probability theory.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
For my Calculus II class I need to do a math project for some extra credit. I talked to my professor and she says that the project can be about anything as long as it is about math.

Also, I wouldn't prefer to have a project that includes too much multivariable calculus, because I'm only in Calc II, but it if it has a little bit of it that's okay.

My favorite aspects of math are functions, integrals, limits, and equations (of lines or just solving them).

With that in mind what should I do for my project? I'm open to any suggestions you all my have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some things that come to mind:

Fourier series and the many applications it has to mathematics such as the Basel problel

Calculus in nonstandard analysis, this forms an alternative mathematics without limits

Metric spaces and a generalization of continuity and limits

Some complex analysis

Optimization problems with calculus of variations

Applying calculus to probability theory

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Here are some things that come to mind:

Fourier series and the many applications it has to mathematics such as the Basel problel

Calculus in nonstandard analysis, this forms an alternative mathematics without limits

Metric spaces and a generalization of continuity and limits

Some complex analysis

Optimization problems with calculus of variations

Applying calculus to probability theory

These are all pretty cool ideas. I'll look into them; thanks for the help.

I feel like metric spaces might be a bit much for you since you're in calc II. They're awesome, and a great (and useful) property to have in a topological space, but probably a bit advanced for calculus II.

Applying calculus to probability theory will be cool, and you'll see it again in thermal physics.

What about multi-variable Taylor series? I know you don't want to do much with multi-variable calculus, but if you can play with two or three dimensional Taylor series it may be useful.

Fourier Series are really neat as well. Another thing is other infinite series representations. Fourier is for sine/cosine, but there are all sorts of other functions you can do. Learning about orthogonal functions on an interval and expanding series in Legendre polynomials is useful.

Why not try to track down some cool uses to the parametric functions you learn towards the end of calc II?

Using center of mass / volumes of revolution to find something like the moment of inertia about different axes are a cool application of Calc II techniques, but may require you delve a little bit into 3-D calculus.

I would suggest choosing a project that interests you and aligns with your favorite aspects of math. This will not only make the project more enjoyable for you, but it will also allow you to showcase your strengths and understanding of the subject. Some potential ideas could be exploring the applications of integrals in real-world scenarios, investigating the behavior of different types of functions, or analyzing the relationship between limits and equations. You could also consider incorporating technology, such as creating a computer program or using a graphing calculator, to enhance your project. Additionally, don't be afraid to think outside the box and come up with a unique topic that combines your interests and mathematical concepts. Remember to discuss your ideas with your professor to ensure that the project meets the requirements and to receive feedback and guidance. Good luck with your project!

1. What are some creative ideas for a math project?

Some creative ideas for a math project could include creating a board game that involves math concepts, designing and building a model that demonstrates a mathematical principle, or creating a short film that explains a complex math concept.

2. How can I make my math project stand out?

To make your math project stand out, consider incorporating multimedia elements such as videos, animations, or interactive games. You could also try to connect your project to real-world applications or current events to make it more relevant and engaging.

3. What are some good resources for finding math project ideas?

There are many online resources available for finding math project ideas, such as educational websites, math forums, and social media groups. You could also consult with your math teacher or classmates for suggestions.

4. How do I choose a topic for my math project?

When choosing a topic for your math project, consider your interests and strengths in math, as well as any current events or real-world applications that you find intriguing. It's also important to ensure that the topic is appropriate for your grade level and aligns with your teacher's guidelines.

5. How should I present my math project?

The presentation of your math project will depend on the specific requirements given by your teacher. However, some common ways to present a math project include creating a poster board, giving a live presentation, or creating a digital presentation using software like PowerPoint or Prezi.