What should I feed my son for lunch?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
My son is 1.5 y.o. and I have not idea what to make him for lunch.

Any (healthy) suggestions?

Answers and Replies

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
fish sticks and mac and cheese?

You missed the "(healthy)" part?

That sounds like what my dad fed me, and I turned out perfectly normal.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I tried my best. Now, if you had asked for unhealthy I would have said twinkies and root beer. :smile:

A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G except baby formula

I tried my best. Now, if you had asked for unhealthy I would have said twinkies and root beer. :smile:

I appreciate the effort, MIH. And if I had some fish sticks I might have considered it more.

Danger
Gold Member
I can tell that you're not a Canuk. The obvious answer is beer.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can tell that you're not a Canuk. The obvious answer is beer.

You start 'em young, eh?

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My son just made a sandwich for me.

Sliced ham and American cheese surrounding a puddle of ketchup and pickles. :biggrin:

Or Twinkies and real beer.

Great minds think alike Danger...or perhaps devious ones...

Make him a tunafish sandwich with some carrot sticks and a small glass of burbon.....er, milk.

When the question is serious, this could help

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Aarrgh! I think PF has hit a new low.

Having to ask for dating advice is one thing, but having to ask what to feed a toddler is beyond lame. They're pretty much self-sufficient by that age. They just roam around the house eating whatever they find under the couch cushions.

Creamy Saffron Risotto
with duck confit, and sage emulsion

Sauteed Diver Sea Scallops
Butternut squash, with a squash emulsion

Mushroom Cappuccino
Wild mushroom velouté, steamed milk and white pepper

Rabbit Ballontine
Stuffed with foie gras, black truffles, finished in a natural jus with lemon

Normally, I like a bright fruity red to go with it, like 2004 Vin de Pays d'Oc, "Le Roc", However, you may prefer to give him a glass of milk instead because of his tender age. If you object to foie gras, chopped liver will do. I say a father's judgement is best.

With the addition of Cyrus I think its "devious minds think alike".

...having to ask what to feed a toddler is beyond lame. They're pretty much self-sufficient by that age. They just roam around the house eating whatever they find under the couch cushions.

Eww... In our house that would be covered with dust and cat-fur. :yuck:
I guess it would help build the immune system though! :rofl:

My son is 1.5 y.o. and I have not idea what to make him for lunch.

Any (healthy) suggestions?

I dated a girl that had an 18 month old son. That gives me a tiny background on this subject..

It depends how he digests his food, but I recommend a couple of cheese cubes, baby carrots and whatever you think is healthy, but chopped up portions of your meal. Depends on what kind of food you like serving in your house. Mix it up with fruit and vegetables of course in smaller portions. Corn, asparagus, apples, oranges slices.. Maybe chopped up hamburger once in a while to mix it up.

I'd avoid stuff with high sodium or fat content like mac & cheese from the box and fish sticks. Or cup o' noodles/ ramen.

Once you get in a routine of feeding him somewhat healthy food, your pantry will be stocked with it and it'll become automatic.

Good luck. -mikeknick04-

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Soft baby carrots and cooked peas (sweet) would be good. Make sure the baby carrots are cut.

Apple sauce is good.

Having to ask for dating advice is one thing, but having to ask what to feed a toddler is beyond lame. They're pretty much self-sufficient by that age. They just roam around the house eating whatever they find under the couch cushions.

This is true, but in order for them to remain healthy, and not require veterinary attention, you must supplement this grazing with the occasional meal (once a week at a minimum).

I settled on soup and sandwich for myself, and soup for him.

turbo
Gold Member
I settled on soup and sandwich for myself, and soup for him.
Be careful - canned soups are usually loaded with salt, and the dried soups are even worse. If you get a steamer-basket to fit in a saucepan (or if you have a food-steamer/rice cooker) you can make healthy meals of steamed vegetables very quickly without resorting to canned stuff.

My niece will turn 1 next month and she loves steamed vegetables - cut up small or mashed together. As a bonus, it's a lot cheaper to feed her that stuff when other family members are having meals, too, instead of buying baby food. Generally, she wants to eat about everything that she sees my brother eating, so it works out well.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

When my sister was that age she cracked open and drank a bubble light that was on the Christmas tree.

Make a soup.

Everyone loves chicken soup and you can make it healthy by adding lots of veggies. Just control the amount of sodium you use. You can make big batches at once time and have plenty of left overs that can last for days.

Danger
Gold Member
You start 'em young, eh?

Well, maybe not that young. I had my first drink when I was 2 1/2. That was the day my parents got married. As a joke, one of my brothers gave them a baby bottle full of pink champagne with a ribbon around it. My parents, not realizing that I was an engineer by nature if not training, thought that it would be safe to stash it on top of the fridge. :rolleyes:
While I'm not at all sure, I suspect that it might have been the same day that I ate all of my mother's tulips from her window box. I never got into any trouble about the booze, but she was pretty irked about the flowers. :biggrin:

I had my first drink when I was 5. My dad got horribly drunk at a new years party and offerred to share his "King Cobra" with me while we were on the couch watching old episodes of Star Trek. We both had to lie down in the car while we were driven home because we were so hammered. Strangely, this didn't seem to have any negative development effects, as I turned out to be perfectly normal in the end.