What should I study/specialize in if I want to work with fusion?

• Programs
  • Thread starter HectorViruega
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion Work
In summary, if you want to work with fusion reactors, it would be beneficial to specialize in plasma physics and electromagnetics. While many engineers work in this field, there are also opportunities for those with a background in pure physics. It is important to focus on the aspects of the problem that interest you and tailor your specialization accordingly.
HectorViruega
Hello everyone. I've always wanted to be a scientist, and in recent years I've figured out that I want to be a physicist. What are of physics has been a little harder to figure out, since there are a lot of areas that interest me, however, recently I have been getting more and more excited about fusion reactors. I am very drawn to the idea of nearly limitless clean energy for everyone, and even though there is a possibility that we'll never make fusion reactor work efficiently enough for them to be economically viable, I still would love to work in that field.

My question is, what should I study if I want to work in that field? I've heard that a lot of engineers get jobs as scientists working with machines like the Large Hadron Collider. Is this true? Would I then be better off majoring in engineering over pure physics? What about Engineering Physics (which one of the schools I'd like to get into gives as a major)? Would it be a good starting point? Also, in what area of physics should I do my master's and Ph.D.?

I know it's a lot of questions but I'd really appreciate the help.

TL;DR: I want to work with fusion reactors. What should I major/specialize in?

Physics news on Phys.org
LHC has nothing to do with fusion, better specialize in plasma physics and electromagnteics.

Likes bhobba
Dr Transport said:
LHC has nothing to do with fusion, better specialize in plasma physics and electromagnteics.
I mentioned the LHC as an example of engineers getting jobs as scientists, not because it has anything to do; I should have clarified more. I've heard that a lot of people working on the LHC are engineers, is that true? If so, would fusion reactors be similar in that they hire a lof of engineers? If that is the case, should I major in pure physics, or some type of engineering?

Sorry for the confusion.

HectorViruega said:
I've heard that a lot of people working on the LHC are engineers, is that true?
Yes, but they are working mainly with the engineering aspects.

Likes bhobba
I have a PhD in an engineering field (aerospace engineering, specifically) and worked for a while doing fusion research. It was not a "nuts-and-bolts" kind of job where I designed/built a machine and let the "real" scientists do research with it, but an actual research position. Engineers fill both roles. As someone with a background in fluid mechanics, I was running fluids experiments to help understand the fluid physics involved in the problem.

There were a very wide array of scientists working the research side of this and adjacent problems, with varied backgrounds such as: plasma physics, electromagnetics, engineering (primarily fluid mechanics, electrical, materials), astrophysics, chemistry, applied mathematics, and I am sure plenty whom I've forgotten.

Generally, there are multiple paths to the same end goal. Study the aspect(s) of the problem that interest(s) you and tailor your specialization within that field toward fusion.

Likes HectorViruega
boneh3ad said:
I have a PhD in an engineering field (aerospace engineering, specifically) and worked for a while doing fusion research. It was not a "nuts-and-bolts" kind of job where I designed/built a machine and let the "real" scientists do research with it, but an actual research position. Engineers fill both roles. As someone with a background in fluid mechanics, I was running fluids experiments to help understand the fluid physics involved in the problem.

There were a very wide array of scientists working the research side of this and adjacent problems, with varied backgrounds such as: plasma physics, electromagnetics, engineering (primarily fluid mechanics, electrical, materials), astrophysics, chemistry, applied mathematics, and I am sure plenty whom I've forgotten.

Generally, there are multiple paths to the same end goal. Study the aspect(s) of the problem that interest(s) you and tailor your specialization within that field toward fusion.
Thanks

Thanks! That was very helpful. I'm still figuring out what I am most interested in, but it's good to know I can still get into experimental physics even if I don't study pure physics.

Likes boneh3ad

1. What is fusion and why is it important?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. It is the same process that powers the sun and other stars. Fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy, making it an important area of research and development.

2. What type of education is required to work with fusion?

To work with fusion, you will need a strong background in physics, particularly in nuclear and plasma physics. A degree in engineering or a related field may also be beneficial. Many universities offer specialized programs in fusion or plasma physics.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in fusion?

Some important skills for working with fusion include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, a solid understanding of mathematics and physics, and the ability to work well in a team. Attention to detail and the ability to think creatively are also valuable skills in this field.

4. What are some potential career paths in fusion?

There are many different career paths in fusion, including research and development, engineering, and project management. You could work for a government agency, a research institution, or a private company. Some specific job titles in this field include fusion engineer, plasma physicist, and fusion energy researcher.

5. What are some current challenges in the field of fusion research?

One of the main challenges in fusion research is finding a way to sustain the fusion reaction and produce more energy than is required to initiate it. Another challenge is developing materials that can withstand the extreme temperatures and radiation involved in fusion reactions. Additionally, funding and public support for fusion research can also be a challenge.