1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What simple machine is a cam/eccentric?

1. May 10, 2016 #1
    Now I know that levers, wheels, screws, inclined planes, wedges, and pulleys (which I believe are actually levers in disguise), are the classical simple machines from way back when. Although I can classify things into these categories, I'm having trouble determining which of them a cam/eccentric fall into. They could be wheels, or they could be inclined planes...? If anybody hase some insight, clearing this up for me would really help!

Thanks,
    PenguinCo.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why does it matter?
    Some machines are comprised of combinations of simple machines - it is pointless to try to put everything into a simplistic taxonomy.

Note: a pulley may be used to obtain mechanical advantage - in which case it is a special case of a lever: a round lever. However, it can also be used as a pulley to change the direction of action of the tension in a cord. You can also use a rod and pivot to do this. When so used, the rod is a special case of a pulley.
    In other words, a machine is properly classified by its function, not it's geometry. At least in terms of physics or engineering.

4. May 11, 2016 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

A cam/eccentric is just a circular wedge.

5. May 11, 2016 #4

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From Wikipedia:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted