Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If A Kind Soul Would Be Willing - Reality Check

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    Hey all, I'm working on a short hard-sci-fi story, and I'm a bit unsure of the foundational accuracy of my work. If anyone is willing, I'd appreciate some critical analysis of some of the appendices, to either make sure I'm kinda on the ball as far as accurately portraying the concepts go, or to identify where I'm way off, so I can work on fixing things. I like hard sci-fi, and I'm writing this under the guise of really, really, really, hard sci-fi. The appendices take up more text than the actual story body, thus far.

Appendix 1:

And the point of the fly-wheel, my pseudo-axioms:

Sorry if this is in the wrong section; gen. physics seemed appropriate.

I kinda feel like I'm approaching a bunch of wizened elders with this, hoping my simple pedestrian explanations can make the masters of scientific wit and insight nod in approval.

Anyway, any comments are appreciated.

-Apt

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sorry. It's a bunch of pseudoscientific woo-woo. "Because the box models all, the box is all?" Good heavens.

This is not "rreally, really, really, hard sci-fi".

4. Dec 22, 2011 #3
    Ignore the box, it's a plot device, that unfortunately has to be completely fictitious.

What about my description of a manifold: does that seem accurate enough for the purposes of a lay-man's understanding?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook