What Skills Do Companies Seek in High School Interns?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tom83B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Skills
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Tom83B
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I'd like to apply for an internship for the following summer.

What skills are the companies looking for? Is there anything useful I should get better at? I know some basic calculus and I'm deffinetly going to keep on improving (or at least I'll try), but is there anything else, that would allow me to do at least a little challenging work?

This school year I'm going to participate in one high-school competition and I'm probably going to do a numerical simulation of the solar system and detemine the time of the solar eclipse, how much does Jupiter move with the Sun and so on.
Would it be helpful if I sent them the project? Is there some specific language that would interest the employers (I'm planning on doing it in C++, but if it really helped I could try doing it in Fortran or st...)

When should I apply and what are the chances?
I probably have to add that I'm from Czech Republic, so it's probably a little different from US. But I think I'll be able to apply e.g. to a company in Germany - Because of the EU stuff (and my German should be hopefully pretty good by then, since now I'm in Germany for 6 months). Btw. would languages help my chances to get technical-oriented summer-job?

Thanks for your answers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't comment on companies in Europe and how often or if they even will hire a high school intern, and for America (depending on the field of course) it might be more likely for you to get work at a university providing you have an important skill: programming. If you are a systems/linux/fortran/objective-c guru and you know a bit about the topics of research, I can't see that many people turning you down. You may want to try and go talk to some professors in their offices as sending emails is kind of stupid honestly and usually doesn't work anyway. It seems like you somewhat take a leap of faith by showing your face to them and telling them that you can do this, which I spose shows that you really want to do it so you took an effort to talk to them and it's a bit more personal as well too.

Anyway, tl;dr be a monster programmer and you have a good chance anywhere.
 
Well, I'm not monster programmer or C/Fortran/whateverlanguage guru. But you think that the most important think is to work on my programming skills?
 
Dude you need to become a guru at at least 1 language, not just a bit of this and a bit of that.. The summer is a long ways away so you have a lot of time to get skilled.