What smallest value of kinetic friction

In summary: Unfortunately, I don't know how to set ƩF equal to zero. I've tried dividing by zero, and multiplying by a negative number, but I'm not sure if either of those are right. If you can't figure it out, I can try to help you out, but I don't know if I can do it without the figure.
fizzex

Homework Statement

(a) suppose the coefficient of μκ between m1 and the plane in Fig 4-57 is 0.15, and that m1=m2=2.7 kg. As m2 moves down, determine the magnitude of the acceleration of m1 and m2, given θ = 25°. (b) What smallest value of kinetic friction will keep this system from accelerating?

Homework Equations

There are many equations...
For part A, ƩF = Fg - Ft +Fn
Fg = mg
ƩF = Fg - Ft
Ff = μ(Fn)
Part B, I'm not too sure.
I was going to have Ft - Fg - Ff = ƩF, and have ƩF=0 because ƩF = ma, and acceleration would be 0, but then I was confused.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved Part A... the acceleration is 2.16. If you want me to go through the whole process, I will, just for the sake of time, I was hoping to just start from part B, where I'm absolutely stuck. I know that I have to set acceleration equal to zero, but when I tried I got 0.14 instead of the answer, 0.64.

Any suggestions? ...and does that even make sense? Sorry, it's my first post.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PH Forums.

It's hard to help without the figure!

I can't copy it, but it's a pulley system. M2 is hanging over the side of the inclined plane, and M1 is sliding down the 25 degree angle. Does that help?

I think you'll have to spell out your final equation for the acceleration (symbolic form, no numbers) so we can see where things stand.

From Part A, there were two equations involving acceleration (ƩF = ma)... ƩF = Fg - Ft and ƩF = Ft - Fg - Ff. The first one was applied to the hanging box, box 2, because there was no friction. (Conversely, the second equation included Ff, as box 1 was sliding down the inclined plane.)

These formulas were then set equal to each other, which found the answer to part A, finding the acceleration.

I'm not sure how to put them into the second part of the problem.

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface.

How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest.

What factors affect the value of kinetic friction?

The value of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the velocity of the object.

What is the smallest possible value of kinetic friction?

The smallest value of kinetic friction is zero. This occurs when the object is moving at a constant velocity, known as the state of dynamic equilibrium.

How is the value of kinetic friction measured?

The value of kinetic friction can be measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force required to keep an object moving at a constant velocity on a surface.