Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What sort of cable connector is this?

  1. Apr 30, 2012 #1


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I don't think this is technical enough to post it in EE so I'm hoping someone

    in my project my supervisor bought this thing, it's power supply uses a cable shown in the attached image, problem is it is about a foot long. For the sake of a tidier work space we are trying to find an extension cable for it (1m+).

    problem is i have no clue what the cable and connectors are called, the closest things I've found are:

    which don't really look the same....

    The flat cable has 12 connectors, each one shaped like a belt around 1mm wide, distance to the next connector is also around 1mm.

    would someone happen to know what these things are called? cheers

    Attached Files:

  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    They are called "ribbon cables" and come in a variety of widths (number of wires) and different styles of connectors.

    You should be able to buy a ready-made longer one. The connectors are often IDC types (insulation displacement connectors) which need a special tool to "clamp" them onto the ribbon without soldering, so you probably don't want to try assermbling the cable and connectors yourself.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook