What sort of cable connector is this?

• Thread starter wukunlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable Sort
In summary, the person is looking for an extension cable for a power supply that uses a flat ribbon cable with 12 connectors that are 1mm wide and spaced 1mm apart. They are asking for help in finding the right type of cable and connectors, which are called "ribbon cables" and often use IDC connectors that require a special tool for assembly. They are hoping to find a ready-made longer cable rather than assembling it themselves.
wukunlin
Gold Member
I don't think this is technical enough to post it in EE so I'm hoping someone

in my project my supervisor bought this thing, it's power supply uses a cable shown in the attached image, problem is it is about a foot long. For the sake of a tidier work space we are trying to find an extension cable for it (1m+).

problem is i have no clue what the cable and connectors are called, the closest things I've found are:
http://nz.element14.com/molex/35362...ssellid=9289429&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&
http://nz.element14.com/molex/35507-1200/socket-12way/dp/7571631

which don't really look the same...

The flat cable has 12 connectors, each one shaped like a belt around 1mm wide, distance to the next connector is also around 1mm.

would someone happen to know what these things are called? cheers

Attachments

• Image0004[1].jpg
    Image0004[1].jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
They are called "ribbon cables" and come in a variety of widths (number of wires) and different styles of connectors.

You should be able to buy a ready-made longer one. The connectors are often IDC types (insulation displacement connectors) which need a special tool to "clamp" them onto the ribbon without soldering, so you probably don't want to try assermbling the cable and connectors yourself.

1. What is a cable connector?

A cable connector is a device used to connect two or more cables together, allowing the transfer of data or power between them.

2. How do I identify the type of cable connector I have?

The best way to identify a cable connector is to look at its shape, size, and the number of pins or contacts it has. You can also refer to the manufacturer's specifications or use a cable connector identification tool.

3. What are the different types of cable connectors?

There are various types of cable connectors, including USB, HDMI, Ethernet, VGA, and power connectors. Each type is designed for a specific purpose and has its own unique features and specifications.

4. How do I choose the right cable connector for my needs?

To choose the right cable connector, you should consider the type of device you are connecting, the speed and type of data transfer required, and the distance between the devices. It is also essential to ensure that the connector is compatible with your devices.

5. Can I use different types of cable connectors together?

In most cases, you cannot use different types of cable connectors together as they are designed for specific purposes and have different specifications. However, there are some adapters and converters available that can help you connect different types of cable connectors.

Back