1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What specific field of physics to study

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    Hello. I am a high school senior, and I have already enrolled in college to study physics.

But I have an important question: How does one determine what localized field of physics to study?

I do alot of electrical work, and would love to dive into the forces that push that current through the wire. But, astronomy intrigues the heck out of me, as do the workings of elementary particles. I also read up alot on the fascinating thins that happen at the speed of light, and would love to be a part of that study.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is what your undergrad study in physics is supposed to help you do. You still have lot's of time before you have to pick a specialty, so don't fret too much about it! Enjoy your undergrad study in physics, and focus on learning physics and how to do it. Specializing will come later. By then you'll have a better idea, since you'll have had a little taste of things from many fields, experimental and theoretical.
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't worry about it yet. Most undergraduate physics degrees are "general", not "specialized." You probably won't have a significant choice in specialized or elective courses until your junior year. Explore as many different fields as you can, via elective courses and research experience.

I didn't decide on my Ph.D. field until my second year in graduate school.
  5. Feb 17, 2008 #4
    *cough particle cough*
  6. Feb 18, 2008 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I worked in three areas before finally settling on a dissertation topic, experimental optics, crystal growth then finally optical and electronic properties of anisotropic semiconductors. Really it was my 3rd year before I decided.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?