What Speed Must an Electron Achieve to Orbit a Charged Sphere?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
dtesselstrom
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 2.40 -mm-diameter glass sphere has a charge of + 1.70 nC.
What speed does an electron need to orbit the sphere 1.40 mm above the surface?

Homework Equations


Electric Field of Sphere: E=k*Q/(r^2)
q*E=M*v^2/r


The Attempt at a Solution


It seems pretty straight forward but I must be doing something wrong with the r values. Could someone tell me what the radius is considered. For the electric field is it the radius of sphere + the distance away or what and same for the other equation. I've tried pretty much all the combos I can think of and still am getting it wrong so not sure where I am going wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It says above the surface so you would have to add the radius of the sphere to the radius of the orbit.
 
Last edited: