What speed would a satellite have to be placed to make it into orbit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
joe426
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



JHBmJ.png


Homework Equations



F = G(m1m2/r2)

The Attempt at a Solution


Well the height of Mt. Everest is 8,848 m. And I'm guessing the no atmosphere and not turning on an axis is just to setup the ideal problem. But from there I don't know how to set up the equation so that the satellite is placed into orbit.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
joe426 said:

Homework Statement



JHBmJ.png


Homework Equations



F = G(m1m2/r2)

The Attempt at a Solution


Well the height of Mt. Everest is 8,848 m. And I'm guessing the no atmosphere and not turning on an axis is just to setup the ideal problem. But from there I don't know how to set up the equation so that the satellite is placed into orbit.

What's the circular orbit speed for a satellite orbiting at an altitude of 8848m?
 
gneill said:
What's the circular orbit speed for a satellite orbiting at an altitude of 8848m?

I dunno. How would I find it without given mass?
 
I know that centrip acceleration is equal to v^2 / r. Would I set that to 0 and solve for v?
 
joe426 said:
I know that centrip acceleration is equal to v^2 / r. Would I set that to 0 and solve for v?

Nope. Right formula, but the centripetal acceleration won't be zero. What acceleration will balance it to make the total come out to zero?
 
gneill said:
Nope. Right formula, but the centripetal acceleration won't be zero. What acceleration will balance it to make the total come out to zero?

94 m/s?
Not sure what you mean by, "balance it to make the total come out to zero?"
 
Last edited:
joe426 said:
94 m/s?
Not sure what you mean by, "balance it to make the total come out to zero?"

The radius of a circular orbit must be constant (or else it wouldn't be a circle!). That means the net radially-directed acceleration (or force) must be zero. What two accelerations act to reach a balance for a circular orbit? Or in other words, what two forces are acting?