1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What subject for thesis in algebra

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    Hi
    I'm a graduate student in mathematics and abstract algebra, and I'm looking for an exciting subject in algebra to work on for my thesis . I want the subject be new and sth that one can give paper on it . Any suggestion will be appreciated !

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

What does you advisor think?

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    he suggested some subjects to me that aren't interesting to me .

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4
    Post the topics that he suggested and what you don't find interesting about them. That will give people more details about your studies as to suggest a good topic.

6. Jun 15, 2010 #5
    the subjects were about "zero-divisor graphs of rings "and the graphs associated to rings . Actually I look for a subject in ring theory .

7. Jun 15, 2010 #6
    Perhaps you should speak to your advisor more about it, afterall they are the one that will be guiding your work so it's helpful for them to know what you find interesting and any ideas that you have.

It seems as though it's pretty common to take advice from random, unknown people on an internet forum when you've got an expert in the field (in your advisor) at your disposal. Of course it's helpful to speak to people here but as for things to research, it might be nice to have an indepth discussion about what you want to do - that way your advisor might be more helpful in suggesting topics you'll enjoy for future works.

8. Jul 22, 2010 #7
    I think it is exciting if you discuss The Inverse Problem in the Calculus of Variations in your thesis. This is a famous question in the calculus of variations. And until now, I don't have any idea about it.

9. Jul 22, 2010 #8

Landau

Science Advisor

Since when is that algebra?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook