1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What symbol is used for linear operator actions?

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    Given a vector v[itex]\in H[/itex]: R2->R3 which is a function from R2 to R3, and an operator G: H->H on the space H in which v lives, what is the most commonly used symbol to refer to this mapping, i.e., G(v)=G[itex]\otimes v[/itex] or something else?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

G(v) is fine.

4. May 2, 2012 #3
    Thank you for replying, but I want to emphasize that G is a 3x3 matrix valued operator that multiplies the 3x1 vector valued function v then integrated over the entire domain, is the tensor product [itex]\otimes[/itex] appropriate? I used a dot but was complained about by the reviewer.

5. May 2, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The tensor product is not appropriate, neither is the dot. Using G(v) makes most sense. Is there a reason why you don't want to use G(v)?

6. May 3, 2012 #5
    Thanks again for clarifying, I guess I just wanted to emphasize the matrix vector multiplication part, I'll use G(v) so that there's no ambiguity. One more question though, if I apply G n times to v, n>=0, is [itex]G^n(v)[/itex] appropriate?

7. May 3, 2012 #6
    I found the notation G^n(v)=G(G(G...G(v)...)) in a textbook. Thank you both!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook