Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do on an 8 hour plane trip?

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't sleep on planes. My iPod only lasts a couple of hours. What other activities can I engage in to keep from going crazy?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2
    I read mostly. Switch back and forth between listening to music and reading. You must have interesting papers to read.

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MOVIES! Depending on the plane, you may have access to a power port for laptops. You can [or could] also rent DVD players and DVDs at most major airports.

I can't sleep on planes either.

5. Mar 18, 2010 #4
    The best thing I figured out on long flights is to get in a good frame of mind. Don't fight the flight. I used to get super antsy and figity. Looking at the GPS every 5 minutes and thinking about the trip ahead. Instead look at the flight as really part of the trip. The flight is part of the journey. It's not something you want to get over with immediately. Get comfortable. Eat snacks. Read a great book. Watch a few movies. And you land. I recently got through a 14 hour nonstop flight that way. Just relax as best you can and let time slip away rather than thinking about what is next on the other side.

oh and it helps if you sit next to super interesting and handsome man :D

<-------

That reminds me, Ivan, bring that book you were telling me about.

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    You going to Florida? My friend was always going to some weird town in Florida for conferences.

7. Mar 18, 2010 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

8 hours? MIH, are you going to Bora Bora?

8. Mar 18, 2010 #7
    Yes you're right there! The flight is part of the journey!

Do they not have video games in the screen in front of you?

9. Mar 18, 2010 #8
    Read. Good books are always nice to have in long hours in planes and trains. You can drink your last 2h so you arrive happy to the destination :wink:

10. Mar 18, 2010 #9
    Join the mile high club?

11. Mar 18, 2010 #10
    Try flying the airplane, it's a blast.

12. Mar 18, 2010 #11
    One two, amazing story to tell your friends.

13. Mar 18, 2010 #12
    Ask yourself, what would you do if you were stuck on that plane for the rest of your life?

14. Mar 18, 2010 #13

Borek

Staff: Mentor

From the statistics I remember once per about billion journeys rest of the life is the 8 hours MIH asked about.

15. Mar 18, 2010 #14
    At the same time.

16. Mar 18, 2010 #15
    Start writing your autobiography

17. Mar 18, 2010 #16
    1. Play with the buttons
    2. Play with the TV
    3. Watch the sky

18. Mar 18, 2010 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ohh man I can find a way to waste 16 hours at work. Where do I begin.. watch your favorite TV shows, listen to music, read a book, scan the airwaves for any broadcasts (my ham radio is super small and lightweight - Yaesu VX-2R) you can listen to the pilot transmissions (being the first to know you all going to die could come in handy when you rushing towards the parachute you stored in your bags), eat and drink (you'd be surprised how fast time flies when you on alcohol and having fun), then try to get online - you can bounce a signal off an amateur EchoLink server and get online for freeee, post on PF!

Well if all else fails I suppose you can try human contact :uhh:

Then there is sleeping. You can pack some melatonin pills and Phenibut and if you time them right you would be knocked out for 8 hours easily.

19. Mar 18, 2010 #18
    Bring healthy snacks, a good book , a trip journal, and your ipod . Read for a hour, get up and stretch, have a snack, listen to a few songs, start making notes in the journal.....repeat until landing.

20. Mar 18, 2010 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check.

21. Mar 18, 2010 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's why I have my Kindle! :biggrin: The battery life is really long.

My laptop battery seems to be having problems though...only holds a charge for 2 hours now...I need to check if it's still under warranty to get it replaced, but that won't be in time for the trip...hopefully the flight will have a plug...I was really annoyed when I headed to Mozambique and discovered once on the plane that only "selected" seats had outlets for laptops...the "selected" ones being first and business class. :grumpy:

I can't sleep on planes either, so I'm planning on tossing on my bathing suit, slathering on the sunblock, and napping for a few hours by the pool before we do anything else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook