1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other What to do over the summer - Future engineer

1. Jun 22, 2016 #1
    I'm a few weeks into my summer, and I haven't really been doing anything. Most of my days are spent sitting on my computer bored or watching shows that I'm following. I'm in the process of setting up an internship, but at this point we're just waiting for the process to continue which might be a few more weeks.

I'm inactive right now and I don't know how I could spend my summer meaningfully. I'm currently going into my senior year of high school and I want to be learning something or doing something productive this summer. Any good books or activities I could pursue? This is pretty broad but I'm just not sure what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2016 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

At your level, I would say have fun. Go for long bike rides, trips to the beach (if you're close to one), go camping and hiking, hang out with friends in person. There is more than enough time to study once you get to college.

My main advice would be to get outdoors as much as you can and stop watching TV, hanging out on the computer. If you really don't want to do that, I would replace passive activity with creative activity. For example, build a robot and program it with a Raspberry Pi, or write a video game in C++, that type of thing.

But my real advice would be to have fun!

Most of us working engineers would KILL to have a real summer again. :)

4. Jun 25, 2016 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey RoZ589.

I'd recommend getting involved with other people in some way.

Most people are motivated when others are involved and that means doing something with them where everyone contributes to everyone else in some way.

It could be something fun (like what analogdesign mentions in their post above) or it could be serious but the underlying message is that it should involve other people in some form or another.

It's usually the case that when people disconnect themselves that they become unmotivated and go into the downward spiral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted