Unpaid internship versus Research over the summer

In summary, the person is a math and statistics double major with a guaranteed unpaid internship opportunity for the summer. They are interested in consulting/finance and industrial modeling, but also plan on getting a Ph.D in applied math. They are trying to decide which option would be most impressive on an application to a Statistics/Applied math program: 1) an unpaid internship with a mathematical biology/ecology consulting company, 2) a paid REU program in applied math, or 3) a paid internship in finance. They are leaning towards option 1 as it would provide great references and the chance to work one-on-one with well-known professionals in the field. However, they are also considering option 2 as it could potentially help with
hello95
Hello,

I am a math and statistics double major, and basically I have a guaranteed unpaid internship opportunity this summer. I have yet to send out applications to other organizations/REUs.

While I am interested in the long term in consulting/finance and industrial modeling, I hope to get my Ph.D in applied math. The question I have is: Which of the following would be most impressive on an application to a Statistics/Applied math program:

1: An (unpaid) internship with a Mathematical biology/ecology consulting company run by A professor at my university with whom I am currently writing a paper. He's applied math, and is quite well known in his field (theoretical ecology). At the company, I would be working with a renowned statistician, and a mathematical biologist (I don't know too much about him, I do know that he models insect evolution in response to pesticides). I would probably begin at least one paper over the summer with the statistician, since we've already talked about some potential directions we could publish in. All of these would be great references obviously. I would be working one-on-one with them probably ~40 hours a week all summer.

2: A (paid) REU program in applied math

3: A (paid) internship at an investment bank/hedge fund or consulting firm.

I'm leaning towards number 1, I only provided more description since the latter two are more well known.

If I were to want to go into finance, obviously 3 would be ideal, but since I want to go to grad school beforehand (better analyst positions, better ability to start my own company, etc), I feel like it might not be as good as something math related, so it really comes down to 1 and 2.

Thanks for any feedback,
Luke

Physics news on Phys.org
Just an aside, but are you sure that the PhD would give you better analyst positions/ability to start a company? I'd assume that if you came in with a PhD you'd be going for associate positions anyway (and therefore competing against MBA graduates who have prior work experience), and from what I've heard, a PhD doesn't necessarily give you the ability to start a company (and work experience is often better for that). A lot of the big hedge funds have rolling recruitment and have already started recruiting for SA positions, as have bulge brackets for non-target schools (and target school applications are due in a couple of weeks) so if you want to consider #3, it's probably a good idea to send in applications soon.

I'm a physics major who's considering going to graduate school for aplied physics, but I'm also considering doing reasonably quantitative finance (certain parts of S&T, HF, prop shops are all places I'd love to work). I was told to take a finance internship this summer, as I already have prior research experience (as it sounds like you do too), and I was told by professors in my department that it wouldn't hurt my graduate school chances. It could well be the same for you too.

1. What is the difference between an unpaid internship and research over the summer?

An unpaid internship is a work experience that typically involves completing tasks and gaining practical skills within a specific industry or company. It is often done for academic credit or to gain experience in a particular field. Research over the summer, on the other hand, involves conducting scientific investigations and experiments in a particular field of study. It is often done to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in a specific area.

2. Which option is more beneficial for a career in science?

Both options can be beneficial for a career in science, but it ultimately depends on your career goals. If you are interested in gaining practical skills and networking within a specific industry, an unpaid internship may be more beneficial. If you are interested in conducting research and contributing to the scientific community, research over the summer may be a better choice.

3. Can an unpaid internship also involve research?

Yes, an unpaid internship can involve research, but it may not be the primary focus. Many internships include a mix of tasks, including research, but they may also involve administrative or clerical work. If you are specifically interested in conducting research, it may be better to pursue a research opportunity over the summer.

4. Are there any financial considerations when choosing between an unpaid internship and research over the summer?

Yes, there can be financial considerations when choosing between these options. Unpaid internships do not typically provide monetary compensation, so you may need to consider the costs associated with transportation, housing, and living expenses. Research over the summer may offer a stipend or funding to cover these expenses, but it is important to research and confirm this beforehand.

5. How can I make the most of either option to enhance my scientific career?

To make the most of either option, it is important to be proactive and take advantage of all opportunities presented to you. In an unpaid internship, network with professionals in your field and ask for feedback and advice. In research over the summer, communicate with your mentor and take on challenging projects to gain valuable experience. Both options can also be enhanced by maintaining a strong work ethic, being open to learning new skills, and asking questions to further your knowledge and understanding.