1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to put on a application to college that will stand out?

Tags:
  1. Jan 11, 2015 #1
    Is there anything an aspiring physicist can do that they can put on an application that would stand out? I've heard of people building their own particle accelerators, but what would you suggest?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The best advice I can give is to be yourself, and don't do anything just because it looks good on an application.

4. Jan 11, 2015 #3
    To add to this:
    because they'll see right through the BS.

The only person I know of who's built a particle accelerator was Michio Kaku, but there are plenty of people who've gotten into MIT who never did that. If you're still in your junior year, take your AP Physics/Calculus courses, do well in them, study hard for the SATs and ACTs, get acquainted with whatever programs look good to you when you research schools online, and work on extra curricular activities related to science. Write a darn good personal statement that shows you love physics too. You may not get into MIT, but if you're reasonably successful so far and continue to build on that success, there are plenty of good schools who will be happy to have another physics major (since the average graduation rate for physics majors is 12 per year per school).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook