What to Read/Study in Physics if I want to be a Physicict

In summary, the conversation is about a 14-year-old who wants to become a physicist and is looking for book recommendations to start learning about topics such as relativity, fundamental particles, and quantum mechanics. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a strong foundation in math and suggests resources for self-studying.
Aspectrum
Hey I'm new to this forum and I'm 14 and I want to be a future Physicist (Probably Particle Physicist ) and I was wondering what books are good for starting out , just to let you know what kind of content I'm looking for I already know about General relativity , special relatativity , and the fundamental particles/forces , and although technically I'm in 8th I've already took Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II and also high school physical science , I'm looking for something challenging with something along QM's and Calculus and some other stuff cause I feel really bored in my apparently "Gifted"
science class where the kids can't even do A=Derivative of Velocity in there head and after 1st period there is about 10-20 minutes where i can read some physics do pass time.

So any Suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the difference between displacement and distance traveled?

Aspectrum said:
I already know about General relativity , special relativity , and the fundamental particles/forces

You could go into these topics much more in depth. The concepts alone are numerous, but the mathematics behind relativity are fascinating. You definitely need calculus/linear algebra as a bare minimum to begin studying the mathematics behind it. From there, read/study/learn vector calculus, differential geometry, tensor analysis to get a better understanding of relativity, especially GR.

I would say get a solid foundation in math, begin with calculus. You can only go so far in physics if you haven't yet developed your math. Start building a solid foundation for math, and the physics will come eventually.

Yes. My suggestion would also be to continue to fine-tune your math, you will have an amazing start if you are 14 years old and can truly grasp calculus from derivatives to integrals and beyond. Also, The Feynman Lectures would be a good book series.

I'll echo what the others said about learning more math. In addition, why not get hold of a calculus-based intro physics text, like Young and Freedman, and see if you can work through it on your own?

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

Not directed to your exactly but just in general a good resource to any aspiring physicists. Many of the resources he recommends are free online also.

Also look to see if your school has any Olympiad type training for physics or math, you may enjoy that also if the general classes are a little slow for you right now.

1. What are the core subjects I should focus on if I want to become a physicist?

The core subjects to focus on in physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. These subjects form the foundation of modern physics and are essential for understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world.

2. Are there any specific mathematical skills I should have to study physics?

Yes, a strong background in calculus and linear algebra is crucial for studying physics. Many concepts in physics, such as derivatives and integrals, are expressed mathematically and require a solid understanding of these mathematical tools.

3. Is it necessary to have a degree in physics to pursue a career in the field?

While having a degree in physics can greatly benefit your career as a physicist, it is not always necessary. Many physicists come from diverse backgrounds such as mathematics, engineering, or computer science. However, a solid understanding of the core principles of physics is essential for success in the field.

4. What are some good books to read for someone interested in physics?

Some recommended books for beginners in physics include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman. These books provide a comprehensive overview of various topics in physics and are written in an accessible and engaging manner.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of physics to real-world problems?

Physics has a wide range of practical applications, from developing new technologies to understanding natural phenomena. By learning the fundamental principles of physics, you can apply your knowledge to various fields such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science. Additionally, conducting research in a specific area of physics can lead to advancements in technology and contribute to solving real-world problems.