1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to Read/Study in Physics if I want to be a Physicict

1. Apr 1, 2015 #1
    Hey i'm new to this forum and i'm 14 and I want to be a future Physicist (Probably Particle Physicist ) and I was wondering what books are good for starting out , just to let you know what kind of content i'm looking for I already know about General relativity , special relatativity , and the fundamental particles/forces , and although technically i'm in 8th I've already took Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II and also high school physical science , i'm looking for something challenging with something along QM's and Calculus and some other stuff cause I feel really bored in my apparently "Gifted"
    science class where the kids can't even do A=Derivative of Velocity in there head and after 1st period there is about 10-20 minutes where i can read some physics do pass time.

So any Suggestion?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2015 #2
    What is the difference between displacement and distance traveled?

4. Apr 1, 2015 #3
    You could go into these topics much more in depth. The concepts alone are numerous, but the mathematics behind relativity are fascinating. You definitely need calculus/linear algebra as a bare minimum to begin studying the mathematics behind it. From there, read/study/learn vector calculus, differential geometry, tensor analysis to get a better understanding of relativity, especially GR.

I would say get a solid foundation in math, begin with calculus. You can only go so far in physics if you haven't yet developed your math. Start building a solid foundation for math, and the physics will come eventually.

5. Apr 2, 2015 #4

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Yes. My suggestion would also be to continue to fine-tune your math, you will have an amazing start if you are 14 years old and can truly grasp calculus from derivatives to integrals and beyond. Also, The Feynman Lectures would be a good book series.

6. Apr 2, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'll echo what the others said about learning more math. In addition, why not get hold of a calculus-based intro physics text, like Young and Freedman, and see if you can work through it on your own?

7. Apr 2, 2015 #6
    http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

Not directed to your exactly but just in general a good resource to any aspiring physicists. Many of the resources he recommends are free online also.

Also look to see if your school has any Olympiad type training for physics or math, you may enjoy that also if the general classes are a little slow for you right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook