What to research while deciding on a major?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's consideration of choosing between a major in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering. They have taken into account the subject description and relevance of both options on a personal level, as well as in terms of a career choice. They have also considered factors such as industries within the major, trending technologies, academic overlap, job descriptions, and job prospects. The individual is also advised not to worry too much about their decision as they can always switch majors if needed. The conversation also touches on the possibility of exploring other related fields such as computer engineering or software engineering.
Minhtran1092
I'm in the process of settling on a major (either Comp. Sci. or EE) and here are some things I've considered:

A. Subject description & relevance on a personal level
I. Hobbies

B. Subject description & relevance as a career choice
I. Industries within the major
II. Trending/Developing technologies
III. Academic overlap (Math, Physics, Computer Science); (I love my math and science)
IV. Job descriptions (job postings that include required knowledge, education, soft/hard skills)
V. Job prospects, availability, environment, and pay

Am I missing anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Minhtran1092 said:
I'm in the process of settling on a major (either Comp. Sci. or EE) and here are some things I've considered:

A. Subject description & relevance on a personal level
I. Hobbies

B. Subject description & relevance as a career choice
I. Industries within the major
II. Trending/Developing technologies
III. Academic overlap (Math, Physics, Computer Science); (I love my math and science)
IV. Job descriptions (job postings that include required knowledge, education, soft/hard skills)
V. Job prospects, availability, environment, and pay

Am I missing anything?

How much programming have you done? What languages, and what applications?

What kind of electronics kits have you put together? Have you tried out combining the EE and CS areas by building up a circuit to work with a PIC or other uC, and then programmed the uC for some fun real-time application?

berkeman said:
How much programming have you done? What languages, and what applications?

What kind of electronics kits have you put together? Have you tried out combining the EE and CS areas by building up a circuit to work with a PIC or other uC, and then programmed the uC for some fun real-time application?

This is a good question, but I just want to add that you shouldn't worry if the answer is "I haven't done any of that."

That seems like a decent list to me. Don't worry too much about your decision. You're actually pretty lucky in that you seem to have it narrowed down to some reasonably similar options. (Some people have NO idea what they want to do) If you pick EE and then after a year decide you made the wrong choice, you probably won't have much trouble switching at all. So by all means do your research and make the best choice you can, but don't worry too much if you feel like you can't get enough information to make a well-informed decision. It's very unlikely that you'll be stuck with whatever you pick (and it's also possible that you'll be just as happy in either field). I just say all that because I know it's easy to get really worried about choosing your major when you really don't need to be.

One thing I'm wondering is why you're only considering EE and CS. Computer engineering, for example, can be an interesting blend of the two. Software engineering is another one that's similar to the two, but it focuses on different aspects. Again, it probably doesn't matter *that* much, but if you're going to research your options, you might as well try to research them all.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding on a major?

When deciding on a major, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and career goals. Think about what subjects you enjoy learning about and what you are good at. Also consider what type of career you want to pursue and what majors can help you achieve that goal.

2. How do I know if a major is right for me?

Choosing a major can be overwhelming, but there are a few things you can do to determine if it is the right fit for you. Take introductory courses in the subject to see if you enjoy the material. You can also talk to current students in the major and see what their experiences have been like. It's also important to reflect on your own interests and goals to see if the major aligns with them.

3. What resources are available to help me research majors?

There are many resources available to help you research majors. Your college or university likely has a career center or academic advising office that can provide information and guidance. You can also attend career fairs, talk to professors, and do online research using resources such as the Occupational Outlook Handbook and MyNextMove.org.

4. Is it okay to change my major?

It is completely normal and acceptable to change your major. Many students change their major at least once during their college career. It's important to find a major that you are truly passionate about and that will set you up for success in your future career. Don't be afraid to explore different options and make a change if necessary.

5. How can I make a decision if I am interested in multiple majors?

If you are interested in multiple majors, it's important to research each one thoroughly. Look at the course requirements, career options, and opportunities for internships or research. You can also consider double majoring or minoring in both subjects. Additionally, you can speak to academic advisors or professionals in the field to get a better understanding of each major and how it aligns with your interests and goals.