What type of energy is the e in mass–energy equivalence equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Esoremada
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
We recently started learning about special relativity. Today my teacher said that ET = E0 + EK when talking about masses in motion. So what is the name for the energy stored in mass? We have already learned about kinetic, gravitational, elastic, magnetic and I'm sure I forgot a few.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Esoremada said:
We recently started learning about special relativity. Today my teacher said that ET = E0 + EK when talking about masses in motion. So what is the name for the energy stored in mass? We have already learned about kinetic, gravitational, elastic, magnetic and I'm sure I forgot a few.
Rest Energy:

[itex]E_0=m_0\,c^2[/itex]
 
Alright, thank you. Idk how I couldn't find that :P