What type of person succeeds in physics?

In summary: Sure, I think it is even more about being passionated with physics. Thinking that you could much more money by doing something else than physics makes it difficult to put up with the fact that getting a permanent position may take a very long time.
Loren Booda
Does a particular personality work well in the society of physicists? Aside from the obvious intellectual skills, how does one achieve interpersonally in the field? When interacting with colleagues, are there any differences to other sciences?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
Does a particular personality work well in the society of physicists? Aside from the obvious intellectual skills, how does one achieve interpersonally in the field? When interacting with colleagues, are there any differences to other sciences?
From personal experience, interaction with people (professors, grad students, . . .) in physics is no different that interacting with people in engineering or other sciences. My interaction with physicists has been the same as interacting with those in other sciences and engineering.

However, in interacting with people, one finds there are a variety of peronalities. Some are very open while others are not. Some people are great mentors while others are not.

The idea though is for one to find those people with whom one can form a collegial relationship, and one's success will be based upon one's diligence, achievement and integrity.

And being really really smart. Smarter than me.

You have to be persistant. If you give up easily you will never make it.

And even persistence is no guarantee, only your heart can be master. It is easier to be a physicist and become a trash man then vice versa.

denverdoc said:
And even persistence is no guarantee, only your heart can be master. It is easier to be a physicist and become a trash man then vice versa.

What do you mean trash man? Like a garbage man that knows advanced physics?? Or like the character from good will hunting that is a construction worker?

Last edited:
I'd like to see that. :rofl:

mathPimpDaddy said:
What do you mean trash man? Like a garbage man that knows advanced physics?? Or like the character from good will hunting that is a construction worker?
Only what I said, if one is a physicist, he or she could likeky push a mop, with enough training. To sweep a near object from danger might require the skills of both.

mathPimpDaddy said:

I think he is referring to Dilbert's sanitation engineer, the world's smartest garbage-man.

Engineer also is a physicist ~

Integral said:
You have to be persistant. If you give up easily you will never make it.
Sure, I think it is even more about being passionated with physics. Thinking that you could much more money by doing something else than physics makes it difficult to put up with the fact that getting a permanent position may take a very long time.

What type of person succeeds in physics?

There is no one specific type of person who succeeds in physics. However, there are certain qualities that are commonly found in successful physicists, such as:

• Curiosity and a passion for learning
  • Strong problem-solving skills
  • Persistence and determination
  • An analytical and logical mindset
  • Excellent mathematical abilities

What education or background is necessary to succeed in physics?

To succeed in physics, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics and science. Most successful physicists have at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a closely related field, and many pursue higher degrees such as a master's or doctorate.

What skills are important for a successful career in physics?

In addition to strong mathematical and analytical abilities, successful physicists also possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. They are able to effectively communicate complex ideas to both scientific and non-scientific audiences. Adaptability and the ability to work well in a team are also important skills for a successful career in physics.

What are some common misconceptions about succeeding in physics?

One common misconception is that only those who are naturally gifted in math and science can succeed in physics. While these subjects are certainly important, hard work and dedication are often more important factors in achieving success. Additionally, there is a misconception that all physicists work in academia or research labs. In reality, there are many diverse career paths for physicists, including industry, government, and education.

How can I increase my chances of succeeding in physics?

To increase your chances of success in physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science, but also to continuously challenge yourself and seek out new learning opportunities. Developing good study habits and time management skills can also be beneficial. Networking with other physicists and seeking mentorship from experienced professionals can also provide valuable guidance and support for your career in physics.