What type of physics can I do at grad school having done these courses?

In summary, the speaker is considering doing a math major in order to focus on theoretical physics, but is concerned about missing out on key physics topics like statistical mechanics and classical field theories. They are wondering if this would hinder their chances of being accepted into a heavily mathematical/theoretical astrophysics PhD program.
amesoeurs
I want to end up in theoretical physics but would rather do a maths major. I'm just starting second year undergrad at the moment. If I did a maths major, the courses I'd have under my belt would include:

ODEs/PDEs
differential geometry
general relativity
a lot of linear algebra and calculus
complex and functional analysis
computational math/physics
astrophysics
quantum
dynamics and chaos
mathematical physics (algebraic methods)
first year mechanics/e&m/optics/etc

basically the only physics I would be missing out on is statistical mechanics and classical field theories. Would a physics professor accept me into some kind of heavily mathematical/theoretical astrophysics PhD program with me not having covered those two topics extensively? Thanks for any help, really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
first year mechanics/e&m/optics/etc

I'll take a stab and say that this is wholly insufficient for grad school. You need to take the rigorous mechanics/E&M classes, especially if you'd like to be a theoretical physicist.

1. Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics if I have not taken advanced physics courses in my undergraduate studies?

Yes, you can still pursue a graduate degree in physics even if you have not taken advanced physics courses in your undergraduate studies. Many graduate programs have specific courses designed to bridge the gap between undergraduate and graduate level physics.

2. What type of physics courses should I take in order to prepare for graduate school?

It is recommended to take courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics as they are the foundation of many graduate level physics courses. Additionally, courses in mathematics and computer science can also be helpful.

3. Are there specific physics subfields that are better suited for certain graduate programs?

Yes, there are several physics subfields such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics that are more commonly offered as specializations in graduate programs. It is important to research the focus of the graduate programs you are interested in to determine which subfield aligns with your interests.

4. Can I switch to a different physics subfield in graduate school if I have already taken courses in a different subfield?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different physics subfield in graduate school. However, it may require taking additional courses to catch up on the necessary background knowledge. It is important to discuss this with your academic advisor to create a plan that best fits your academic goals.

5. Will my research experience in undergraduate studies be beneficial for graduate school applications?

Yes, research experience in undergraduate studies is highly valued in graduate school applications. It demonstrates your interest and dedication to the field of physics, and allows you to develop important skills such as critical thinking and problem solving. It is important to highlight your research experience in your graduate school applications.