What type of physics can I do at grad school having done these courses?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
amesoeurs
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I want to end up in theoretical physics but would rather do a maths major. I'm just starting second year undergrad at the moment. If I did a maths major, the courses I'd have under my belt would include:

ODEs/PDEs
differential geometry
general relativity
a lot of linear algebra and calculus
complex and functional analysis
computational math/physics
astrophysics
quantum
dynamics and chaos
mathematical physics (algebraic methods)
first year mechanics/e&m/optics/etc

basically the only physics I would be missing out on is statistical mechanics and classical field theories. Would a physics professor accept me into some kind of heavily mathematical/theoretical astrophysics PhD program with me not having covered those two topics extensively? Thanks for any help, really appreciate it!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
first year mechanics/e&m/optics/etc

I'll take a stab and say that this is wholly insufficient for grad school. You need to take the rigorous mechanics/E&M classes, especially if you'd like to be a theoretical physicist.