1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What types of energies can be generated from fire

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    Hey,

I am working on a project where I have to come up with a way to recover energy from heat of a fire.

we were thinking several options such as:

- Thermoelectric materials and steam turbines which would convert heat to energy
    - Stirling engine to convert heat to mechanical energy
    -heating up gases or fluids to pressurize something

can anyone come up with any other ideas or concepts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi costa_1205! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken] somewhat belatedly. :smile:

You might be able to use the heat to react substances to manufacture a useful fuel to sell or store.

You might be able to use the heat to separate a compound into constituents. These could be transported off site and allowed to recombine to release useful heat energy. The product of reaction can be collected and recycled. If all this came in powder or liquid form it would be handy. ❲I don't have anything particular in mind.❳

When you are left with low grade heat, you might be able to power a process that needs low grade heat, such as keeping greenhouses warm, or warming the fermentation vats in a brewery. Or just taking the chill off the floors of homes or offices or machinery sheds.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook