What universities/professors are strong in Biomems/nanobiotech?

• Schools
  • Thread starter cjw21
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a senior at the University of Maryland-College Park with a materials engineering bachelor's degree and a 3.2 GPA. They have research experience in a cell biophysics lab and a materials interface and nanotechnology lab. They also have experience as an RA and working on campus. They are interested in studying bioMEMS for their master's/PhD and are seeking advice on which professors or universities to look at. Their specific interests include medical nanorobotics, drug delivery systems, regenerative medicine, and tissue engineering/substitutes. The speaker is having trouble finding schools with bioMEMS programs and is considering working with an out-of-department advisor or co-advisor. They are also open to
cjw21
Hi, I'm a senior at university of maryland-college park. I am graduating with a materials engineering bachelor's degree, 3.2 gpa, two years of research experience in a cell biophysics lab and one semester of research in a materials interface and nanotechnology lab. I just took the gre and got the 750-800 range for both quantitative and verbal. Other experience I have is that I was an RA for two years and have always worked at least 2 on campus jobs, more often 3, to put myself through school. LORs will be good but not stellar.

I am very interested in studying bioMEMs for my master's/PhD, and was wondering what professors or universities I should look at that I could possibly get into. My more specific interests include medical nanorobotics, drug delivery systems, regenerative medicine, and tissue engineering/substitutes.

So far, the universities I have looked at that seem promising are university of cincinatti, university of washington-seattle, UC-Irvine, UC-Davis, Northeastern university, Rice, Montreal Polytechnic (Canada), Monash University (Australia), or one of the lower-ranked UK universities in the UK that have specialized nanotechnology programs-Bangor University, Ulster, Swansea, or maybe Heriot-Watt as a reach.

I just have had some trouble figuring out how competitive it will be and how I actually stand as an applicant. My advisor told me that I should consider schools on the level of Rutgers, but have had trouble finding ones at that ranking that have any sort of bioMEMs labs or professors who are doing research in that area.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cjw21, welcome to PF. Fellow Terp here. I find it hard to believe you're having trouble finding research groups. Are you looking through issues of J Mems, J Micromech Microeng, Biophys J, Biomaterials, Acta Biomaterialia, Sensors and Actuators, and J Controlled Release to see who's publishing? These are very popular fields. If you're determined to stay in Materials Engineering rather than Biomedical Engineering, for example, consider the possibility of having an out-of-department advisor or co-advisor so you can do the research you want while taking the classes you want.

As a former bioMEMS person, I would also say that "bioMEMS" connotes a type of silicon-wafer-based microfabrication that has faded from popularity since ~2000, and also doesn't completely overlap with your specific interests. You may be looking for the wrong keywords or sending the wrong message when communicating with research groups. MEMS is a collection of techniques, like machining, that has some place in creating devices for therapeutic applications. Think about whether you are more interested in researching the specific techniques (e.g., thin-film deposition and etching) or addressing the therapeutic applications, possibly with non-MEMS techniques (e.g., polymer science).

Of your list of schools, my recommendation is to try to work with Nate Sniadecki at UW.

1. What are the top universities for Biomems/nanobiotech research?

Some top universities for Biomems/nanobiotech research include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, Harvard University, Stanford University, and Georgia Institute of Technology.

2. Which universities have the most renowned professors in Biomems/nanobiotech?

Some renowned professors in Biomems/nanobiotech can be found at universities such as University of California-San Diego, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, University of Texas-Austin, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign.

3. Are there any specialized programs or departments for Biomems/nanobiotech at universities?

Yes, many universities have specialized programs and departments for Biomems/nanobiotech, such as the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University, the Institute for NanoBioTechnology at Johns Hopkins University, and the Department of Bioengineering at University of California-San Diego.

4. What are some notable research projects or breakthroughs in Biomems/nanobiotech at universities?

Some notable research projects or breakthroughs in Biomems/nanobiotech at universities include the development of nanosensors for detecting cancer biomarkers at Stanford University, creation of a biomimetic nanosystem for targeted drug delivery at University of California-San Diego, and development of biosensors for detecting infectious diseases at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

5. Are there any notable collaborations between universities and industry partners in Biomems/nanobiotech?

Yes, there are many collaborations between universities and industry partners in Biomems/nanobiotech, such as the partnership between University of California-Berkeley and Novartis for developing implantable sensors for drug delivery, and the collaboration between Georgia Institute of Technology and Johnson & Johnson for developing nanotechnology-based drug delivery systems.