What value of the velocity should I insert in the equation?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the displacement of a projectile with air drag taken into account. The formula for displacement is x=(v0+Vterminal)/k*(1-e^(-kt)-Vterminal*t+x0, where k is the air drag coefficient. The question is which value of the velocity should be used in the equation, specifically the initial velocity and the X component of the velocity. There is some confusion about the correct values to use and the equation of motion used to derive the formula is discussed. It is also mentioned that the y-component of the initial velocity needs to be calculated for accurate results.
antigona
Hi,

My problem is very simple... but yet it rises some doubt. I am calculating how long a projectile goes taking into account air drag. For the displacement I have the following formula:

x=(v0+Vterminal)/k*(1-e^(-kt)-Vterminal*t+x0

where k is the air drag coefficient

I know that this formula already includes both components of the velocity, thus it should give the correct displacement.
The equation states that my initial velocity is: 31.1m/s
The X component of the velocity is: 15.55m/s.

Which value of the velocity should i insert on the equation?

I have done the calculations with both and the results differed by very little, hence my confusion.

Appreciate the help, thanks.

R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which equation of motion did you solve to get that formula for the displacement?

dv/dt=-kv+g

You're missing an m in there I think and +g should be -g. Since you have a g in that particular equation of motion the v and x you calculate will be in the y-direction. Therefore you need to calculate the y-component of the initial velocity.

1. What is the equation for velocity?

The equation for velocity is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time.

2. How do I determine the value for velocity?

The value for velocity can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be measured using tools such as a stopwatch or by using sensors to track the distance and time.

3. Can velocity have a negative value?

Yes, velocity can have a negative value. This indicates that the object is traveling in the opposite direction of its positive velocity. For example, a car moving east would have a positive velocity, while a car moving west would have a negative velocity.

4. What are the units for velocity?

The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system. However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used.

5. Is velocity the same as speed?

No, velocity and speed are not the same. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction, while speed is only the magnitude of the distance traveled in a given amount of time. Therefore, an object can have the same speed but different velocities if it is traveling in different directions.