What value of the velocity should I insert in the equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter antigona
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Value Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
antigona
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

My problem is very simple... but yet it rises some doubt. I am calculating how long a projectile goes taking into account air drag. For the displacement I have the following formula:

x=(v0+Vterminal)/k*(1-e^(-kt)-Vterminal*t+x0

where k is the air drag coefficient

I know that this formula already includes both components of the velocity, thus it should give the correct displacement.
The equation states that my initial velocity is: 31.1m/s
The X component of the velocity is: 15.55m/s.

Which value of the velocity should i insert on the equation?

I have done the calculations with both and the results differed by very little, hence my confusion.

Appreciate the help, thanks.

R.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Which equation of motion did you solve to get that formula for the displacement?
 
You're missing an m in there I think and +g should be -g. Since you have a g in that particular equation of motion the v and x you calculate will be in the y-direction. Therefore you need to calculate the y-component of the initial velocity.