What vessels to use with hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide, and sulfuric acid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
SMD1990
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Hello. I am in need of some assistance in regards to what types of materials I should (and should not) use to contain the various corrosive substances listed in the title.

As for the sodium hydroxide, it will be dissolved in water, almost to the point of saturation.

I have never dealt with any of these before. I am concerned about some of them possibly dissolving whatever I select to put them in while I am using them.

And, for the record, these substances are to be used in separate projects. Just saying, in case I set-off anyone's alarm bells...
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
These are pretty standard reagents. Acids can be stored in glass, sodium hyrodixe will slowly etch glass - so either keep it in a glass bottle with a rubber stopper (old school) or in a polyethylene bottle (current trend).