What was the cause of Ricco's sudden passing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
43 replies · 6K views
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Messages
24,114
Reaction score
3,277
My beloved dog, my best friend, and constant companion Ricco (aka The Fruit Bat) passed away suddenly today. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure Thursday, but I was told that with medication he should have another couple of years. He was due to have tests this week and start medication. Early this morning he had severe breathing problems and Evo Child and I drove him to the vet where they were going to give him oxygen and start the tests. They called at 12:30pm and told me that he passed away.

I love you Ricco. I will never forget you. If there is a heaven for him, it is filled with the cats he loved so much.

riccotongue.jpg
 
Biology news on Phys.org
He was lucky to have such a loving owner and companion in you, I'm sure he lived a happy life and I'm sorry for your loss x
 
Oh, no! Such a sweetie!. You can't hope to fill that hole in your heart anytime soon... I wish you the best.
 
Thank you all. I'm lost right now.
 
My cat died two years ago and I still miss him, so I know how you feel.
 
:frown: {{{hugs}}}

I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP, FB
 
Looks like he had some kind of personality - growing a beard like ZZ Top and sticking his tongue out when a picture is being snapped. I miss him already.
So sorry Evo.
 
256bits said:
Looks like he had some kind of personality - growing a beard like ZZ Top and sticking his tongue out when a picture is being snapped. I miss him already.
So sorry Evo.
He did have an incredible personality.

Thanks again everyone for the kind thoughts. I am still in shock. I held in him my arms just this morning.
 
If you decide to get another dog anytime soon, please adopt a shelter dog, and share posts and pix. Everybody needs a home.

Love,
turbo
 
Last edited:
turbo said:
If you decide to get another dog anytime soon, please adopt a shelter dog, and share posts and pix. Everybody needs a home.

Love,
turbo
It will be awhile. I just held him in my arms this morning. It's not real to me yet. I still feel his presence.

I have always saved shelter dogs, Spawn got the FB because she had researched the qualities she wanted in a dog. Then she started college and realized she wouldn't have enough time between work and school to give him the time and affection he would need, so she gave him to me.
 
I'm sorry Evo, I can't begin to imagine how horrible that must feel. I don't know what I would do if something happened to my dog.
 
QuarkCharmer said:
I'm sorry Evo, I can't begin to imagine how horrible that must feel. I don't know what I would do if something happened to my dog.
A part of me died Quark. He was so human-like. When he was in distress during the night, he tapped me with his paw to get my attention.
 
Evo said:
A part of me died Quark. He was so human-like. When he was in distress during the night, he tapped me with his paw to get my attention.

Poor thing :cry:
 
Evo said:
My beloved dog, my best friend, and constant companion Ricco (aka The Fruit Bat) passed away suddenly today. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure Thursday, but I was told that with medication he should have another couple of years. He was due to have tests this week and start medication. Early this morning he had severe breathing problems and Evo Child and I drove him to the vet where they were going to give him oxygen and start the tests. They called at 12:30pm and told me that he passed away.

I love you Ricco. I will never forget you. If there is a heaven for him, it is filled with the cats he loved so much.

riccotongue.jpg

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
 
micromass said:
Poor thing :cry:
I can't describe my sense of loss micro. I loved my cat Dr Foofer so much, and I grieved terribly when he died, but the sudden loss of the FB has left me devastated. I don't know what to do. He's not coming back.

Thank you dl, it's been devastating. Animals are so helpless, they can't tell us what they are feeling. I think the FB held a lot in. He obviously was suffering much more than he showed.
 
Evo said:
I can't describe my sense of loss micro. I loved my cat Dr Foofer so much, and I grieved terribly when he died, but the sudden loss of the FB has left me devastated. I don't know what to do. He's not coming back.

Thank you dl, it's been devastating. Animals are so helpless, they can't tell us what they are feeling. I think the FB held a lot in. He obviously was suffering much more than he showed.

That is really sad. In Japanese, people say "縁がなかったからですよ。" In English, it is his fate. Please make him a wish 'rest in peace'.
 
But finally the tears fill our eyes
and we know that somewhere tonight
Fruitbat knows how much we will miss him

:frown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkCzeeR91c

goodnight little one

I will dream of you tonight
 
What a little cutie you had. I am very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the day when our little Galinda...

Sorry again.
 
That's so sad :frown: Cherish the good times that you had, he's now resting in peace.
 
No words can describe the pain of losing a loved one.

My condolances. {{Evo}}