What was the most intellectually stimulating class you have ever taken?

• Thread starter TechieDork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: PF.In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's experience as a 2nd year Physics major and how they were mindblown by the interconnectedness of nature and its relation to mathematical equations. The speaker also shared their experience in a Waves and Vibrations course and how difficult it was, with only 7 students passing the midterm. The most intellectually stimulating event in the speaker's life was when their professor introduced them to Anharmonic and its relation to Quantum Mechanics. The conversation also touched on the idea of theoretical physicists and their dedication to the pursuit of truth and understanding, with the comparison to priests. The conversation ended with the speaker stating their passion for physics and their preparation for a potential
TechieDork
I'm a 2nd year Physics major.Today I'm completely mindblown how nature can be so interconnected and explainable with just short and simple mathmeatical equations.

And here this is my experience...

This course is called Waves and Vibrations. It is well known for its difficulty in my college. And this midterm only 7 students managed to pass. The highest score was not even close to 80/100.
The fun part began when the professor (Quantum Field Theorist) introduced us to Anharmonic and how it related to QM. He drew a diagram depicting a force between two atoms. And derived equations after equations until he finally shows us the relationship between Total energy and temperature. I was completely mind blown. It was one of the most intellectual stimulating events in my life.

What was the most intellectual stimulating class in your life?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TechieDork said:
I'm a 2nd year Physics major.Today I'm completely mindblown how nature can be so interconnected and explainable with just short and simple mathmeatical equations.
This course is called Waves and Vibrations. It is notorious for its difficulty in my college. And this midterm only 7 students managed to pass. The highest score was not even close to 80/100.
The fun part began when the professor (Quantum Field Theorist) introduced us to Anharmonic and how it related to QM. He drew a diagram depicting a force between two atoms. And derived equations after equations until he finally shows us the relationship between Total energy and temperature. I was completely mind blown. It was one of the most intellectual stimulating events in my life. It felt like my CPU is 100% used.

Was this before or after you decided that he was like a priest?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...pure-mathematicians-just-like-priests.984107/

It is hard to know if you've learned anything from threads you left hanging.

Zz.

• Haha
Likes TechieDork
It sounds to me as though you actually have little if any interest in other's experiences but rather just needed to express your pleasure at your own experience. That's not a bad thing, but a better subject line for the thread might have been "sharing my wonderful experience ... ". I don't mean that in a bad way.

Likes TechieDork
ZapperZ said:
Was this before or after you decided that he was like a priest?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...pure-mathematicians-just-like-priests.984107/

It is hard to know if you've learned anything from threads you left hanging.

Zz.

This was happened after I decided he was like a priest. I thought people who want to pursue Theoretical Physics fields have to give up the dream of possessing materialistic things ,instant gratifications or limelight. Fully devote themselves to the mission of finding truth and understanding.

People with that level of talents can pursue any lucrative fields if they want but they have decided to stick with what they truly love.

Of course, it was just an anecdotal after all.

I have came to term with my decision. I did choose the right field to study. Physics is my passion. It gives me the mental infrastructure to analyse and solve complex problems. I can't imagine myself doing anything else but it doesn't mean I don't prepare myself to learn some transferrable skills if in the end I don't make it to the academia.

TechieDork said:
This was happened after I decided he was like a priest. I thought people who want to pursue Theoretical Physics fields have to give up the dream of possessing materialistic things ,instant gratifications or limelight. Fully devote themselves to the mission of finding truth and understanding.

People with that level of talents can pursue any lucrative fields if they want but they have decided to stick with what they truly love.

Of course, it was just an anecdotal after all.

I have came to term with my decision. I did choose the right field to study. Physics is my passion. It gives me the mental infrastructure to analyse and solve complex problems. I can't imagine myself doing anything else but it doesn't mean I don't prepare myself to learn some transferrable skills if in the end I don't make it to the academia.

Still, it doesn't answer whether (i) you had the wrong impression of what "theoretical physics" was and (ii) if you've learned anything to correct that.

It would be nice if, once in a while, we have closure on a thread on PF.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Still, it doesn't answer whether (i) you had the wrong impression of what "theoretical physics" was and (ii) if you've learned anything to correct that.

It would be nice if, once in a while, we have closure on a thread on PF.

Zz.

(i) Yes , I did have a skewed view on the stereotypes of "theoretical physics" based purely on cherry-picking fallacy.

(ii) I've learned that people whether they're theoreticians or not aren't homogeneous. Different different people have different beliefs values and characteristics.

Thanks for illustrating the the points.

1. What was the most intellectually stimulating class you have ever taken?

The most intellectually stimulating class I have ever taken was a course on quantum mechanics. This class challenged me to think critically and deeply about the fundamental principles of physics and how they apply to the microscopic world. It also introduced me to new and complex mathematical concepts, making it a truly intellectually stimulating experience.

2. What made the class intellectually stimulating for you?

The class was intellectually stimulating because it pushed me outside of my comfort zone and forced me to think in new and abstract ways. The concepts were challenging and required a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, the discussions and debates in class were thought-provoking and sparked my curiosity and interest in the subject.

3. How did the class impact your understanding of the subject matter?

The class had a significant impact on my understanding of the subject matter. It not only provided a deep and thorough understanding of the principles of quantum mechanics, but it also taught me how to think like a physicist and approach problems from a scientific perspective. The class also sparked my interest in pursuing further research and study in this field.

4. Did the class have any real-world applications or implications?

Absolutely. The principles of quantum mechanics have numerous real-world applications, from developing new technologies such as quantum computers and cryptography to understanding the behavior of matter at a microscopic level. This class allowed me to see the practical implications of the subject and how it is used in various industries and fields.

5. Would you recommend this class to others?

Without a doubt, I would highly recommend this class to others. It was one of the most challenging and intellectually stimulating courses I have taken, and it greatly expanded my knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. I believe anyone with an interest in physics or a desire to expand their critical thinking skills would benefit from taking this class.