What was the original purpose of the chainsaw?

In summary, the original purpose of the chainsaw was to aid in the process of logging and forestry. It was invented in the 1830s by German orthopaedist Bernhard Heine as a surgical tool, but was later adapted for use in forestry in the early 20th century. Its main function was to cut down trees quickly and efficiently, replacing the slower and more labor-intensive methods of using axes and saws. Over time, the chainsaw has also been used for other purposes such as cutting ice, stone, and concrete.
256bits
Gold Member
If given the question, I would not have fathomed that the chainsaw device with a continuous 'blade' was originally a medical device from the late 18th century.
An effort saving machine for lumberjacks cutting wood would have been my first guess. But wrong.

But when one thinks about it, the hand held powered chainsaw the average homeowner can buy is a recent ( 50 years or so ) machine. For quite some time engines were heavy. So heavy that a handheld was out of the question until technology improved to give weight savings such as aluminium blocks.
Lumberjacks would necessarily have stuck with the trusty two man straight blade to cut down a tree, as that could be carried around and manueuvred much more easily than a cumbersome heavy machine that hurt your ears when running. Effort saving was not to be had until after the middle of last century.

read on.....
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/foodanddr...pc=U531&cvid=36d61fcabddc4954843451cbe583f957

https://chainsawlarry.com/when-were-chainsaws-invented/

1676524826529.png

Early chain saw muscle powered for cutting bone in medical operations.

• Wow
Likes DrClaude, pinball1970, Drakkith and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
256bits said:
If given the question, I would not have fathomed that the chainsaw device with a continuous 'blade' was originally a medical device from the late 18th century.
An effort saving machine for lumberjacks cutting wood would have been my first guess. But wrong.

But when one thinks about it, the hand held powered chainsaw the average homeowner can buy is a recent ( 50 years or so ) machine. For quite some time engines were heavy. So heavy that a handheld was out of the question until technology improved to give weight savings such as aluminium blocks.
Lumberjacks would necessarily have stuck with the trusty two man straight blade to cut down a tree, as that could be carried around and manueuvred much more easily than a cumbersome heavy machine that hurt your ears when running. Effort saving was not to be had until after the middle of last century.

read on.....
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/foodanddr...pc=U531&cvid=36d61fcabddc4954843451cbe583f957

View attachment 322358
Yikes, I do not think anaesthesia was particularly well developed in the 18th century.
Whiskey perhaps?

Likes 256bits
pinball1970 said:
Yikes, I do not think anaesthesia was particularly well developed in the 18th century.
Whiskey perhaps?
Many early researchers of anaesthesia became addicts.

A nice read about a couple of them
An Anatomy of Addiction: Sigmund Freud, William Halsted, and the Miracle Drug Cocaine
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1400078792/?tag=pfamazon01-20

• Informative
Likes 256bits and pinball1970
Frabjous said:
Many early researchers of anaesthesia became addicts.

A nice read about a couple of them
An Anatomy of Addiction: Sigmund Freud, William Halsted, and the Miracle Drug Cocaine
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1400078792/?tag=pfamazon01-20
One of my lecturers at Uni was an ether addict. He was probably the age I am now or younger, it was 1987, Pretty matter of fact about it, first lecture come to think of it.
Some practicals involved ether. Lots of Drosophila studies where they were euthanized at the end. I supposed he just gained his addiction via diffusion?
Anyway that contraption in the OP is terrifying and anaesthesia is just one of those things we take for granted now.
As a small aside I was struck by an episode of house where he performs an amputation with what looks like a small wood saw. <snip -- Google link to page of ads now removed>
EDIT: Completely wrong after checking! How does one remember things in such a distorted way? Anyway, This is TV not real life but I think House team tried to be realistic @berkeman
6.30 in the video. If you have never watched House then I recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 256bits, berkeman and Frabjous
There was a scene in the movie THe Cider House Rules where the doctor played by Michael Caine would take ether naps until it killed him later in the movie.

Likes 256bits and pinball1970
256bits said:

But when one thinks about it, the hand held powered chainsaw the average homeowner can buy is a recent ( 50 years or so ) machine. Here For quite some time engines were heavy. So heavy that a handheld was out of the question until technology improved to give weight savings such as aluminium blocks.

read on.....

View attachment 322358
Interesting and curious to know! How a medical device saw changed the landscape of the planet))) Deforestation means medicine is to blame for everything))))

Likes 256bits
Yeah, except one could say that about every invention most notably the wheel.

Likes 256bits and BillTre

1. What is a medical invention chainsaw?

A medical invention chainsaw is a specialized type of chainsaw that has been designed and modified for use in medical procedures. It is typically smaller and more precise than traditional chainsaws and is used for cutting through bone, tissue, and other materials during surgeries or amputations.

2. How does a medical invention chainsaw work?

A medical invention chainsaw works by using a motor to rotate a chain with sharp teeth. The chain is guided by a bar and can be powered by electricity, compressed air, or other energy sources. The teeth of the chain are designed to make precise cuts through bone and tissue, allowing surgeons to perform procedures with more control and accuracy.

3. What are the benefits of using a medical invention chainsaw?

The use of a medical invention chainsaw offers several benefits in medical procedures. It allows for more precise and controlled cuts, reducing the risk of damage to surrounding tissues. It also reduces the time and effort needed for surgeries and amputations, making the process more efficient. Additionally, the use of a chainsaw can reduce the amount of blood loss during procedures, leading to faster recovery times for patients.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a medical invention chainsaw?

Like any medical tool, there are potential risks associated with using a medical invention chainsaw. Inexperienced or untrained users may cause unintentional damage to surrounding tissues. There is also a risk of infection if the chainsaw is not properly sterilized before use. However, with proper training and precautions, the risks can be minimized.

5. What advancements have been made in medical invention chainsaws?

Over the years, there have been many advancements in medical invention chainsaws. These include the development of more lightweight and ergonomic designs, as well as the use of more advanced materials for the chains and blades. There have also been improvements in the motor and power sources, making the chainsaws more efficient and precise. Additionally, some chainsaws now have safety features, such as automatic shut-off switches, to further reduce the risk of injury during use.

Back