Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What we mean when we talk of foundations of physics?

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    I wans't sure on where I should post this question. So, if this place is inappropriate, please move it to a proper section.

The question is as its posed in the title of this topic. What we mean by foundations of physics? when someone talks of the foundations of physics, what is he/she talking about exactly?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

There is a journal called Foundations of Physics, and its in description one can read
    This should give you an idea of what some people think that "foundations of physics" mean.

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Foundations of physics" makes me think of the underlying mathematical language of physics, things like Clifford algebra and such, as in the book by D. Hestenes, Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus: A Unified Language for Mathematics and Physics.

5. Oct 14, 2015 #4
    Foundation (a basis on which something is supported) and fundamental (a basis supporting essential function) have a shared meaning ,

Richard Feynman said this about Fundamental Physics,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook