When I was 16, we were only just allowed to get a learner's permit. We didn't get licenses until 17.
That restricted us to driving with a licensed driver over 23 in the vehicle, and only during daylight hours, and since my birthday is in October, when daylight hours are rapidly getting shorter, that really limited my driving time to weekends with my parents because they were at work during the hours I could have driven. On the other hand, my step-dad was really brave about teaching me to drive, which is why I'm a better driver than my sister. My mom decided to get more daring when time came to teach my sister to drive, but my mom is a worse driver than my stepdad, and was a lot less experienced about teaching kids to drive (my step-dad taught 7 other kids to drive before I came along). You learn a lot more when you are taught to drive by someone who drives professionally (he was a truck driver at that stage of his life). My sister just got the basic "put the car in drive and try not to run into anything" type lessons from my mom. My stepdad did much more to put me through my paces when I was learning, including finding an empty parking lot on a snowy day and learning to control a car through skids and spins, and made sure to teach me things like safe stopping distances for tractor trailers...in case they were behind me when I needed to stop...using side mirrors to back up if your rearview mirror is blocked, etc. This all came in quite useful when I was a grad student and had to tow a trailer with animals around campus in all sorts of weather conditions, including ice and snow, and dodge the drunk students coming home from the frat parties at 3 AM when I started my day.
But, most of the driving I did when I got my license at 17 was back and forth to school, and running mom's errands, such as doing the grocery shopping, and then I finally was able to get a job because I could get myself to it, so did that too.
I don't know why states still allow kids who are only 16 to have a license. They are FAR too immature to be out driving alone yet. And, based on how bad so many other drivers are out on the roads, I'm highly skeptical about most parents' abilities to teach their kids to drive too, because I'm not sure their parents are all that good at it either.