17 years later: Thank you FredGarvin and Artman

In summary, the speaker stumbled upon a post from their teenage years where they shared a story about successfully building a hovercraft with the help and encouragement of members @FredGarvin and @Artman. However, they never followed up on the post and can no longer reply to it. The speaker reflects on how they still remember the support they received and how they now pay it forward by mentoring and teaching others. They also mention that @FredGarvin and @Artman eventually stopped posting on the forum but it would be great to hear from them again. The conversation also includes a quote from Artman about wanting to sit with "rich dummies" and a humorous comment from Evo about accordions. The speaker also adds a memo about including safety
slackwing
I just stumbled upon a post I made when I was a kid here (16 then, I'm 33 now). Rudely, seems I never followed up and I can no longer reply in that thread.

Wherever you are today @FredGarvin and @Artman, the hovercraft worked. In fact it worked better than expected and we immediately crashed it into a teacher's car in the parking lot. (Turns out thrust is kind of a huge deal with no friction.) We still got A's. Ours was the only one to achieve lift.

As an adult 17 years later, I still remember the way y'all were so interested in helping me, and all the encouragement. I like to think I'm now paying it forward to the people I mentor and teach.

Thanks and see y'all in another 17 years, granted this planet remains habitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes HAYAO, Ivan Seeking, DennisN and 12 others
Physics news on Phys.org
@slackwing - those were a couple of my favorite members, sadly they eventually got a life and quit posting. It would be great to hear back from them.

• Haha
Likes slackwing and BillTre
Evo said:
sadly they eventually got a life and quit posting.

Ha!

Likes Evo
slackwing said:
I just stumbled upon a post I made when I was a kid here (16 then, I'm 33 now). Rudely, seems I never followed up and I can no longer reply in that thread.

Wherever you are today @FredGarvin and @Artman, the hovercraft worked. In fact it worked better than expected and we immediately crashed it into a teacher's car in the parking lot. (Turns out thrust is kind of a huge deal with no friction.) We still got A's. Ours was the only one to achieve lift.

As an adult 17 years later, I still remember the way y'all were so interested in helping me, and all the encouragement. I like to think I'm now paying it forward to the people I mentor and teach.

Thanks and see y'all in another 17 years, granted this planet remains habitable.

A quote from Artman that made my list of great quotes.

I want to sit with the rich dummies." Quote from my brother following a dinner discussion on the nature of light.
– Artman at PF.com

Likes Evo
Speaking of classic PF quotes

Nothing gets your toe to tapping more than an accordion. - Evo at PF.com

• Haha
Likes Evo
slackwing said:
crashed it into a teacher's car
Memo: Always include safety tips with experimental advice.

Likes Evo

1. What is the significance of "17 years later" in this title?

"17 years later" refers to the span of time since the original event or occurrence being referenced. In this case, it likely refers to something that happened 17 years ago and is now being revisited or reflected upon.

2. Who are FredGarvin and Artman?

FredGarvin and Artman are most likely the names of individuals involved in the original event or occurrence being referenced. They could be real people or fictional characters, depending on the context of the title.

3. Is "Thank you" part of the title or just a general expression of gratitude?

In this context, "Thank you" is most likely part of the title and is directed towards FredGarvin and Artman as a thank you for their involvement in the original event or occurrence.

4. What is the purpose of this title?

The purpose of this title is most likely to draw attention and interest to the subject matter being referenced, as well as to create a sense of nostalgia or reflection on the past.

5. Is this title based on a real event or is it fictional?

This cannot be determined without further context. It is possible that the title is based on a real event or occurrence, but it could also be entirely fictional. It all depends on the context and sources of the information.