17 years later: Thank you FredGarvin and Artman

  • Thread starter Thread starter slackwing
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thank you Years
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
slackwing
I just stumbled upon a post I made when I was a kid here (16 then, I'm 33 now). Rudely, seems I never followed up and I can no longer reply in that thread.

Wherever you are today @FredGarvin and @Artman, the hovercraft worked. In fact it worked better than expected and we immediately crashed it into a teacher's car in the parking lot. (Turns out thrust is kind of a huge deal with no friction.) We still got A's. Ours was the only one to achieve lift.

As an adult 17 years later, I still remember the way y'all were so interested in helping me, and all the encouragement. I like to think I'm now paying it forward to the people I mentor and teach.

Thanks and see y'all in another 17 years, granted this planet remains habitable.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: HAYAO, Ivan Seeking, DennisN and 12 others
Engineering news on Phys.org
@slackwing - those were a couple of my favorite members, sadly they eventually got a life and quit posting. It would be great to hear back from them.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: slackwing and BillTre
Evo said:
sadly they eventually got a life and quit posting.

Ha!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
slackwing said:
I just stumbled upon a post I made when I was a kid here (16 then, I'm 33 now). Rudely, seems I never followed up and I can no longer reply in that thread.

Wherever you are today @FredGarvin and @Artman, the hovercraft worked. In fact it worked better than expected and we immediately crashed it into a teacher's car in the parking lot. (Turns out thrust is kind of a huge deal with no friction.) We still got A's. Ours was the only one to achieve lift.

As an adult 17 years later, I still remember the way y'all were so interested in helping me, and all the encouragement. I like to think I'm now paying it forward to the people I mentor and teach.

Thanks and see y'all in another 17 years, granted this planet remains habitable.

A quote from Artman that made my list of great quotes.

I want to sit with the rich dummies." Quote from my brother following a dinner discussion on the nature of light.
– Artman at PF.com
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Speaking of classic PF quotes

Nothing gets your toe to tapping more than an accordion. - Evo at PF.com
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Evo
slackwing said:
crashed it into a teacher's car
Memo: Always include safety tips with experimental advice.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo