Car scratch repair pen - worth buying?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car scratch
In summary, the learner has received two small scratches on the side of their car (a Toyota Etios Liva, about 3 years and 6 months old). The scratch on the door is about the length of your little finger on the hand, and the width is so small that you won't find it unless you go near it (only the surface paint has been ripped off). Another one, near and above the front tire, is a bit larger, but the paint hasn't been ripped off fully. There are two more scratches, one in front, and one at the back. The one at the front is small, but the other one is a bit large. But no dents, only the surface paint is lost. The
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am learning driving. As a learner, I couldn't avoid two small scratches on one side of our car (a Toyota Etios Liva, about 3 years and 6 months old). The scratch on the door is about the length of your little finger on the hand, and the width is so small that you won't find it unless you go near it (only the surface paint has been ripped off). Another one, near and above the front tire, is a bit larger, but the paint hasn't been ripped off fully.

In addition to these, there are two more scratches, one in front, and one at the back. Those two were due to the carelessness of drivers. The one at the front is small, but the other one is a bit large. But no dents, only the surface paint is lost.

I was considering options about repairing. Generally we don't do the repairs from anywhere but the authorised service center. But if I give them the car, I have to claim an insurance, and that is a lot of trouble. In addition, having received my license only very recently, I am not an experienced driver, so some scratches might add to this. So doing a full body paint is perhaps not a very good option at this moment.

What if I buy a scratch repair pen, something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NS6T9LO/?tag=pfamazon01-20 or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R559KGP/?tag=pfamazon01-20? I learned from the ChrisFix channel on YouTube that scratches can be repaired at home, but I am not going to do all that tricky stuff. I was thinking about just lightly painting the scratches with the pen, so that they are not visible from a distance. Maybe after one or two years, when I am confident enough, I can take the car for a full body paint and claim the insurance.

What do you say?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends upon how deep the scratch is. Run your fingernail across the scratch perpendicular to it. If you can feel a ridge, it’s tough to remove the scratch. If it’s relatively smooth, get an inexpensive scratch remover at an auto parts store and give it a shot. Don’t spend a lot of money looking for the perfect remover.

PhanthomJay said:
It depends upon how deep the scratch is. Run your fingernail across the scratch perpendicular to it. If you can feel a ridge, it’s tough to remove the scratch. If it’s relatively smooth, get an inexpensive scratch remover at an auto parts store and give it a shot. Don’t spend a lot of money looking for the perfect remover.
The scratches are small ones, so there is no question of buying anything costly. I will just cover them with paints so as to "hide" them. I cannot (and will not) repair the scratches, as that is quite tricky.

Has anyone used these pens, and can certify that the colour stays on the car even after washing?

1. Is a car scratch repair pen effective in fixing scratches?

Yes, a car scratch repair pen can be effective in fixing minor scratches on a car's surface. It works by applying a layer of paint to the scratch, filling it in and making it less noticeable. However, it may not be as effective on deep scratches or scratches on metallic or plastic surfaces.

2. How do I use a car scratch repair pen?

To use a car scratch repair pen, first clean the area around the scratch with soap and water. Then, shake the pen well and apply the paint evenly over the scratch. Wait for the paint to dry completely before applying a second coat if needed. Finally, use a clear coat to seal the paint and protect it.

3. Can a car scratch repair pen damage my car's paint?

If used correctly, a car scratch repair pen should not damage your car's paint. However, if the pen is not applied evenly or if too much pressure is used, it can cause the paint to chip or peel. It's important to follow the instructions carefully and practice on a small area first before using it on a larger scratch.

4. How long will a car scratch repair pen last?

The longevity of a car scratch repair pen will depend on the size and depth of the scratch, as well as the quality of the pen. In general, a good quality pen can last for several years if stored properly and used sparingly. However, if the scratch is in a high-traffic area or if harsh weather conditions are present, the paint may wear off faster.

5. Is a car scratch repair pen a permanent solution?

A car scratch repair pen is not a permanent solution, but it can help improve the appearance of a scratch and prevent it from getting worse. It is a quick and easy fix for minor scratches, but for deeper or larger scratches, it is best to seek professional help. It's also important to regularly maintain and wax your car to prevent scratches from occurring in the first place.