Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What were your favorite toys and gifts?

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The holidays got me thinking about toys and some of my Christmas favorites. I think my battery operated, self-propelled, talking and lighted Lost in Space robot was an all time favorite. My first walkie talkies were very cool, and I spent who knows how many hours looking at stuff through my microscope [a toy really]. We also had these battery powered trucks called Johnny Electric...or something like that, that my friends and I spend many hours driving around a dirt lot. These were like big RC trucks but without the RC. :biggrin: They were WC.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Wow, I can't really remember all the gifts I've got in the past. I don't think I ever really valued 'toys' (the conventional type). Maybe it was how I was brought up or something else. Alot of my 'toys' were home-made with things found around the house.

But I did get some presents that were memorable, like my first astronomy book and also this ultra-fun (at that time atleast) math quiz calculator. I remember wearing the keys out >.< Ah, thinking of the past makes you feel old.

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3

Mk

My first pair of socks. I still wear them. On my thumbs.

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

An apple and an orange, maybe some nuts :smile: and a turkey banger for dinner:approve:

6. Nov 23, 2005 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Batman action figures and my nintendo.

7. Nov 23, 2005 #6
    GI Joe space capsule and space suit! I still have it (although it has some broken pieces). The year I got it, I remember sitting and watching the Christmas tree lights reflected in the plastic canopy.

One of my favorite presents was just a cheap little lighted magnifying glass. I played with that for hours and hours.

I got a 3" reflecting telescope one year, which started my interest in astronomy. I still have that too (also has some broken pieces, I was tough on things).

One year my brother and I got some WC cars. They were fun. I took mine apart and used the motor and steering mechanism for other projects. Like I said, I was tough on things. :biggrin:

8. Nov 23, 2005 #7
    A little science lab geogology/mineral kit, I think I was around 8. lol I would put on a oversized lab coat and walk the neighborhood. Doing inspections of peoples yards for alien rocks which might of come from Mars.

9. Nov 23, 2005 #8
    Luxury! When ah were a lad ah got a lump o' coal an' a smack 'round the 'ead... an ah were GRAIRTFUL!

10. Nov 23, 2005 #9

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One word. Transformers.

11. Nov 23, 2005 #10

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The transformers catchphrase was "More than meets the eyes." I don't recall doing this, but my father tells me when I was very young I used to pronounce it with a very earnest air, "Morgan eats the eyes."

12. Nov 23, 2005 #11
    You got smacked in the head a lot, didn't you ElHI?
    :tongue: :rofl: :rofl:

13. Nov 23, 2005 #12
    Oh, this is too cute. :smile:

14. Nov 23, 2005 #13
    Aye, AN' IT NE'ER DID ME ANY 'ARM!!!

15. Nov 23, 2005 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: I go the same toy, probably in the same year. :rofl:

Then there were some smaller space robots.

Erector sets and pieces were fun. We also had Meccano.

I was into model trains (HO, primarily Athearn) ,and so getting a new locomotive or freight cars, especially unique ones, was great.

Like hypatia, I got a mineral set one year, and for one birthday, I received a microsope - I spent a lot of time looking at small things.

Back around 4-5th grade, my parents bought me Van Nostrand's Scientific Encylopedia - and I still have it. That was one of my main sources of inspiration in study science and math.

16. Nov 23, 2005 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Favorite: A box of chalk. A box of chalk, a cement driveway, and a sunny day and I was set. A couple of us used to go a little overboard in creating entire cities of roadways, even naming all the streets.

Number two: A highway set, where you snap the various pieces of the road together. You could make city roads with four-way, three-way intersections, overpasses, cloverleaf exits for the interstate, etc. I even began accumulating buildings to make my cities more than just a map.

(If Sim City had been around when I was a kid, I probably never would have seen the light of day.)

Third favorite was an erector set. The electric motor that could be used to power an elevator, vehicle, etc. was nicest touch.

17. Nov 23, 2005 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was about 5, I wanted this toy called an "Inchworm" more than anything in the world. It was this kid-sized vehicle that looked like a friendly, plastic, green worm on wheels, and you powered the thing by bouncing up and down on it. It had been on TV and there was a fun little song in the commercial that I went around singing. When we went to see Santa I told him that was exactly what I wanted for Christmas.

Christmas morning came and I opened up my presents. No inchworm. Shoot! Oh, well. Maybe next year. Then Mom took me over to my grandparents' house to have Christmas dinner. Grandpa started saying that there was this funny green thing out on the lawn and he figured Santa must have left it there by mistake. I ran to the window and there it was - the INCHWORM!! My eyes were like saucers. I started screaming at the top of my lungs -
    IT'S MINE!!! IT'S MINE!!!

18. Nov 23, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the Sears catalog?

19. Nov 23, 2005 #18

Astronuc

Possibly, or my parents simply bought it at Sears. That was sometime around the mid-60's. :biggrin:

20. Nov 23, 2005 #19
    On my 4th birthday, I got a big red tricycle. I remember my reaction upon seeing it as if it were yesterday (it was 51 years ago). I not only loved the toy, but I really felt my parents' love.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  21. Nov 23, 2005 #20

Evo

:rofl: My little sister has every transformer that McDonalds had with their happy meals. I loved those things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?