What were your favorite toys and gifts?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the toys that the author enjoyed as a child included battery operated, self-propelled, talking and lighted Lost in Space robot, RC trucks without the RC, and a magnifying glass. The author recalls spending hours playing with these toys. Other favorite toys included a telescope, model trains, and a mineral set. The author also recalls receiving a microsope for one birthday. The author's three favorite toys as a child were an erector set, a highway set, and a battery operated, self-propelled, talking and lighted Lost in Space robot.
I would go for the x box 360 or one of the newer nintendo or playstation versions...but then I would probably play it all day and end up becoming a bum. Not to mention frying my brain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Oh, I remember the Inchworm! :biggrin: That was the coolest toy that year! And, yeah, heh heh, my grandparents would do things like that too..."Santa forgot to leave this under the tree for you, so dropped it off at our house on the way out of town."
OhHHHhhh! You remember Inchworm?! That's so awesome! :smile: I sure loved that thing. I would have probably lost my mind if I could have had one of those Bubble Frogs that Evo mentioned.

Ivan and TSA, I used to have Lincoln Logs, too. But I never had a problem with the indians burning my cabins down. It always turned out to be the green plastic army men who were at fault. After a swift trial they were sentenced to die in the backyard - usually by being strapped to a firecracker. :devil:

I want an iPod nano this christmas

Math Is Hard said:
OhHHHhhh! You remember Inchworm?! That's so awesome! :smile:
Yep...*cues music* "It's Inchworm, It's Inchworm...It's a wonderful toy, fun for a girl or a boy!" :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Were you a Hoppity Hopper?
I was...I had a red Mickey Mouse one. My sister had the yellow one.

aha! I found it!
inch1.jpg

*sigh* just like I remember it.

Math Is Hard said:
aha! I found it!
inch1.jpg

*sigh* just like I remember it.
Yay! That's it! Yep, amazingly, it's exactly as I remember it too! (Sometimes I remember toys differently than they really looked...things seemed a LOT bigger when I was much smaller. :-p)

Moonbear said:
I was...I had a red Mickey Mouse one. My sister had the yellow one.
You should dig those out of the closet. You could hippity-hop around Downtown Disney!

This was my favorite: used to be called Run Yourself Ragged. Now they've got some screwball name for it

http://tv.cream.org/extras/toys/images/screwball.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
You should dig those out of the closet. You could hippity-hop around Downtown Disney!
I wish I still had it! Though I'm not sure I'm still in hippity-hop shape! I can't believe I used to be able to bounce around on that thing all day long! :bugeye:

LEGOS! I still love them to this day! Also loved my bigwheel. I'd always race down this big hill and crash, with my mom running down after me screaming at the top of her lungs in fear.

This classic robot is from the original Lost In Space series. He comes complete with his remote control and is in working condition. His speech isn't as clear as it used to be, and he veers a little to the left when he is rolling along. There is a small crack (see penny in photo) and a couple of small splits in his rubber arms. He is complete and missing no parts. There is a secret compartment in the front that you open by hand, and when you push the button on his back, and his arms flop out, just like on the TV show! Use the remote control, and colorful lights appear in his dome and chest, and he says a few of his famous phrases like "Danger, Danger Will Robinson!" and "Intruder Alert!" He can also repeat whatever you say into the remote control. Push another button on the remote and he off he goes across the floor! The remote control is fully intact and works as it should. There are a few scratches but nothing to notice. Small batteries go in the back, larger ones fit into the Robot himself. His colors are bright and shiny, and you can open and close his pincers. Enjoy this wonderful toy from the past!
cf_1_sbl.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.ca/LOST-IN-SPACE-ROBOT-24-INCHES-TALL-W-REMOTE-WORKS_W0QQitemZ6014538389QQcategoryZ20914QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

edward said:
ASTRONUC
My first radio kit was a crystal kit.(no batteries needed) There are some specialty stores still selling them , so I would imagine you could find an electronics kit.
http://www.discoverthis.com/crystal-radio.html

Edward, thanks for that link - I found something similar to what I had - http://www.discoverthis.com/electronic-project-lab-50.html
50-in-one electronics kit. About the same time I did get an 8-band radio - AM/FM/SW which was pretty cool.

I also remember a chemistry set that my folks bought (from Sears) for my brother and me. Some chemicals were poisonous. We did the experiments in a book, but we also improvised and made some probably very toxic stuff.

One year I got a bicycle, which I used a lot to get to and from school or just ride somewhere in the city for 20 or 30 miles.

I built a lot of plastic models of warplanes and warships, but pretty much gave that up when I turned 15.

One of my most favorite gifts was a Canon F-1 SLR camera that my father brought back from Japan. I still have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerrie said:
I loved my big wheel. Back in the day though, they didn't have the girl colors.
Those can get you into trouble. Did you know it's illegal to ride those down the street in the middle of the night even if you're over 18? :redface:

Janus said:
And, I almost forgot, the Thing Maker Fright Factory:

thingmaker.jpg
I had a different version of that...creepy crawlers. I made lots and lots and lots of plastic bugs, and then hid them everywhere! :biggrin:

Definitely Nintendo. And books. Lots of books!

legos, gi joes, nintendo, electronics kits, train sets, bikes, chemistry set, bb guns, rc cars, calculator watch, books, radios, BIG WHEEL :cool: , and a lot of other stuff.