What will speed of sound for sourse and observer if both are moving wrt air?

In summary, the question is asking about the speed of the sound with respect to the air inside or outside of the train.
vkash
wrt means with respect to

Homework Statement

see attachment that contains full question.
firstly read paragraph then see on question.

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity of sound will be 340ms-1 wrt air or ground(since air i snot blowng).
Now speed of soud wrt train A= speed of sound wrt ground - speed of train A=340-20=320.
speed of soud wrt trains B= speed of sound wrt ground - speed of train B=340-30=310.
there is no such option. ?
where am i doing it wrong.
thnks.
waiting for ur valuable reply..

Attachments

• Screenshot - 01212012 - 08:09:00 AM.png
    Screenshot - 01212012 - 08:09:00 AM.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
The question seems ambiguous to me. The speed of the sound with respect to what? The air? (I suspect that that's what they want.)

vkash said:
wrt means with respect to

Homework Statement

see attachment that contains full question.
firstly read paragraph then see on question.

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity of sound will be 340ms-1 wrt air or ground(since air i snot blowng).
Now speed of soud wrt train A= speed of sound wrt ground - speed of train A=340-20=320.
speed of soud wrt trains B= speed of sound wrt ground - speed of train B=340-30=310.
there is no such option. ?
where am i doing it wrong.
thnks.
waiting for ur valuable reply..

When I have been in my car and sounded the horn, the pitch sounded the same whether I was stationary or driving down the highway, so I suspect the pitch and speed of the wave to the passengers on train A will be the same as when stationary, so 340.

Train B is moving away from train A so the pitch will sound lower. If the sound is traveling slower, relative to a passenger, the pitch might do that.
I must say I am most uncomfortable with this question referring to the speed of the sound, rather than the pitch of the sound - [though that is varying]

EDIT: I agree with Doc Al; this is a very poorly worded question.

PeterO said:
When I have been in my car and sounded the horn, the pitch sounded the same whether I was stationary or driving down the highway, so I suspect the pitch and speed of the wave to the passengers on train A will be the same as when stationary, so 340.

Train B is moving away from train A so the pitch will sound lower. If the sound is traveling slower, relative to a passenger, the pitch might do that.
I must say I am most uncomfortable with this question referring to the speed of the sound, rather than the pitch of the sound - [though that is varying]

EDIT: I agree with Doc Al; this is a very poorly worded question.
sometimes personal experinces are not as they are in ideal physics. Similar is here.
After all it's answer is B.
Now think once again on it.

Doc Al said:
The question seems ambiguous to me. The speed of the sound with respect to what? The air? (I suspect that that's what they want.)

yes that is with respect to air.;

vkash said:
yes that is with respect to air.;

Is that with respect to the air inside the train - the air that is moving along with the passengers - or with respect to the air that is outside the train, seemingly moving past the passengers because it is actually still?

PeterO said:
Is that with respect to the air inside the train - the air that is moving along with the passengers - or with respect to the air that is outside the train, seemingly moving past the passengers because it is actually still?

sirens of train are usually not placed inside the train. they are placed on the roof of engine.
When it comes to speed of soud wave it doesn't depend on the frame. It speed is always 340 ms-1 with repect to air. no matter how air is flowing.

vkash said:
sirens of train are usually not placed inside the train. they are placed on the roof of engine.
When it comes to speed of sound wave it doesn't depend on the frame. It speed is always 340 ms-1 with respect to air. no matter how air is flowing.

Right you are then. So you now realize the answer is D then don't you?

Peter

Last day i ask this question to my techer and he told me the correct answer. And that is as below.

since passenger in train A must seated behind the sren so sound of siren will reach till him with velocity -340.(negative for direction opposite to that of train).So relative velocity becomes 340+20=360;;;
that's answer.
Good thing about the answer is that, that the concept i apply was correct but i did a mistake.
I think both of u agree with my answer.

1. What factors affect the speed of sound for a source and observer moving relative to air?

The speed of sound for a source and observer is affected by the temperature, humidity, and composition of the air. The speed of sound also changes with altitude and pressure, as these factors affect the density of the air.

2. Does the speed of sound change if both the source and observer are moving at the same velocity?

No, the speed of sound is independent of the velocity of the source and observer. It only depends on the properties of the medium, such as air, through which the sound is traveling.

3. How does the speed of sound change if the source and observer are moving in opposite directions?

If the source and observer are moving in opposite directions, the speed of sound is affected by their relative velocities. The speed of sound will be higher for the observer if they are moving towards the source, and lower if they are moving away from the source.

4. What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound for a source and observer moving relative to air?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound for a source and observer moving relative to air is: v = (v₀ + u) / (1 ± (v₀ * u) / c²), where v is the speed of sound, v₀ is the speed of sound in still air, u is the velocity of the source or observer, and c is the speed of light.

5. Can the speed of sound change if the source and observer are moving at the same velocity but in different directions?

No, the speed of sound will remain the same regardless of the direction of motion of the source and observer, as long as their velocities are the same. This is because the relative velocity between them is still zero, and therefore does not affect the speed of sound.