moejoe15
- 8
- 0
Is black Monday coming? What are you going to do with your stocks Monday 8/8/11?
moejoe15 said:Is black Monday coming? What are you going to do with your stocks Monday 8/8/11?
moejoe15 said:Is black Monday coming?
moejoe15 said:The tea party? You mean you don't believe Fox blaming Obama who would have routinely raised the debt ceiling if he could have?
Ivan Seeking said:No. The worst is over; at least for now.
If all three major credit rating agencies had particpated in the downgrade, or even if Moodys had followed suit, we would almost certainly be facing another crisis. But given that it was only S&P, and given thay they made a $2 trillion math error, I don't see this being a big problem at the moment.
The real problems have been Italy, and the tea party, not US debt.
If you don't need to cash out in the near future (10 years or so, IMO) that's probably good advice.Insanity said:I would tend to agree with QuantumCandy. While everyone's financial situation and goals are different, holding now and even buying more would be a wise idea.
turbo said:If you don't need to cash out in the near future (10 years or so, IMO) that's probably good advice.
Double-up in 2 years? I'd like that.Astronuc said:Imagine if one had bought GE stock at $7.00 per share during the week of March 2, 2009.
Yep. 3.6% is a pretty nice yield. I wish I could get half of that on my savings.Astronuc said:Also, consider the current dividend - and look a Warren Buffet's warrants.
Eh? The theory being that money would flow out of debt into equities? Even so, I can imagine some counter arguments to equity prices going up.Vanadium 50 said:That said, classical economic theory says stock prices should move up in response to a debt downgrade, not down.
I meant to buy some stock on Fri afternoon, but was thwarted by what I think was a software bug. Glad I didn't, but I'll be placing an order for tomorrow when I get home tonight.moejoe15 said:Is black Monday coming? What are you going to do with your stocks Monday 8/8/11?
Last week, despite all the talk about the debt being a problem, the money went in the wrong direction for debt to be the perceived problem, based on that conventional wisdom. IMO, that doesn't necessarily mean bonds got more attractive, but rather that stocks got more less attractive. And I think the reason is that debt isn't a self-contained problem, affecting only bondholders; it is a long-term drag on the economy that people are only now starting to take seriously.Vanadium 50 said:Right. The short answer is that as the risk of one investment increases, other investments become more attractive.
jobyts said:If you are in the moving roller coaster, the safest thing to do is to stay there, not jumping in and out.