What would be the best way for me to go?

• Thread starter Researchbunny
  • Start date
In summary, I think the best advice for someone like you who is interested in physics and wants to learn more is to start with a community college and work your way up to a four-year university. Once you have a good foundation in math and science, you can look into transferring to a 4-year university to do a bachelors in physics. With your math background, it will probably take 5-6 years to earn a bachelors degree. With that, you can teach high school in many states (public schools require teaching certification as well). To do research, you'll need a PhD - an additional 4-8 years of college.
Researchbunny
I want to learn about physics, mainly quantum physics, light and magnetism(what I am really interested in) so i can work in the researching field(maybe even teach because i love teaching). i enjoy learning about the universe and how it works(like everything), different theories, creating my own and getting to the bottom of how things work and can work. i have an idea id also like to do research in energy healing

im 21 and had horrible grades in high school except my SR year where i got all a's and b's so i don't know how thatll go with me getting into a school. I don't have extensive math knowledge, iv taken things like algebra 1 and basic geometry, no physics or chemistry so I am pretty much starting out at the ground, but these things fascinate me and I am really interested in learning about them..like math, quantum phys, physics, light ectect, and i also love energy healing..which i know maybe questionable still

but I am really interested in energy and quantum levels and i think physics would be the road to take..

so what I am asking is what do you think i should start with.where should i go with this? my parents arent..really into science at all. and don't even think i should take this course because it will take a long time and she and he bf don't think i can do it, they want me to join the military or be a blood lab tech and i don't want to do either,,,

so please give me some advice! thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first step would be to be admitted to a four-year physics program.

okay thanks for your reply..i had figured i should do that

i want more info and advise tho...

Last edited:
Personally I think you would be better off to find a community college with a good pre-engineering program. It is much cheaper and you will have smaller class sizes. You need to take calculus, chemistry, physics and get your basic gen ed requirements out of the way. You want to take a physics class geared towards engineers not something easier.

Once you show you can do the work it will be much easier to get into a four year degree program.

Look at some of the physics lectures online. Watch the first class and ask yourself... am I ready for that? YouTube has many physics lectures/courses available for download.

Community college is the way to start, especially with poor grades in high school. It will take you a few years of remedial math classes to work your way up to calculus, which is the starting point for a bachelors degree in physics. Then you can look into transferring to a 4-year college or university to do a bachelors in physics. With your math background, it will probably take 5-6 years to earn a bachelors degree. With that, you can teach high school in many states (public schools require teaching certification as well). To teach at the college level or do research, you'll need a PhD - an additional 4-8 years of college.

Keep in mind energy healing isn't questionable; it's a load of crap. There's no science there at all. Which calls into question your sources on what quantum mechanics really entails, and what you think this degree is all about. If you thought energy healing might be valid, chances are good you don't have a good picture of actual physics in your mind.

It won't take a few years of remedial math to get to calculus. I didn't attend high school or most of middle school, and consequently I barely managed to test into an intermediate algebra class. I did calc I the following summer, then calc II and III over the long terms. The next summer (this summer, in fact), I was chewing through differential equations and linear algebra through self-study. All in all, it took me less than a year to get into calculus from a 6th grade math background, and I have the A's and B's to prove that I didn't suck at it.

start watching Khanacedemy videos, since you haven't taken any physics course yet, Khanacademy will teach you the concepts of high school science

1. What factors should I consider when deciding the best way for me to go?

When deciding the best way to go, you should consider your personal preferences, resources available, time constraints, and any potential risks or benefits associated with each option.

2. Is there a universally best way for everyone to go?

No, the best way for an individual to go can vary depending on their specific circumstances and needs. What may be the best way for one person may not necessarily be the best for another.

3. How can I determine the best way for me to go?

You can determine the best way for you to go by conducting research, weighing the pros and cons of each option, seeking advice from trusted individuals, and considering your own priorities and goals.

4. Are there any scientific methods or tools that can help me determine the best way to go?

Yes, there are various decision-making models and tools that can aid in determining the best way to go. These include cost-benefit analysis, decision trees, and SWOT analysis.

5. How can I ensure that the best way for me to go aligns with my values and beliefs?

To ensure that the best way for you to go aligns with your values and beliefs, it is important to consider them when making your decision and to prioritize them in your evaluation of each option. You may also seek guidance from a trusted mentor or advisor who shares your values.