What would be the relaxed length of the spring?

In summary, a mathematician is trying to solve a homework problem, but is having difficulty understanding the steps involved. He or she starts by drawing a force diagram, but is having difficulty figuring out the forces acting on the ball.
kdunkzz

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 620 g hangs from a spring whose stiffness is 115 Newtons per meter. A string is attached to the ball and you are pulling the string to the right, so that the ball hangs motionless, as shown in the figure. In this situation the spring is stretched, and its length is 15 cm.
05-059-Ball_spring_string.jpg

What would be the relaxed length of the spring, if it were detached from the ball and laid on a table?

Homework Equations

I wish I knew...

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting 10 cm, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!
.620 x 9.8= 6.076/115N/m
=0.0528 roughly 5.28cm
15-5.28= 9.7 roughly 10 cm
I have tried both 10 cm and 9.7 cm and they are both wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain what you're trying to do in your calculations? I can't make sense of your first line of numbers. I can see mg on the left hand side (even with no units shown), then that is set equal to some number that seems to spring from nowhere (6.076, no units given) divided by the spring constant. I don't see any logic to this. The left side is clearly not equal to the right side and there can be no doubt since they are all numbers, no variables.

Perhaps you're thinking of dividing the gravitational force on the ball by the spring constant to try to find the Δx of the spring? If so that won't work because the gravitational force is not acting along the same direction as the spring; the spring is hanging on a slant, and gravity always works vertically. So you need to look at vector components.

Did you draw a free body diagram for the forces acting on the ball?

Likes olivermsun
I suggest you start by drawing a force diagram for the ball. The spring is pulling on the ball, but not straight up, with an amount of force that you want to figure out. Gravity and you are also pulling on the ball in various other directions...

Edit: What gneill said!

1. What factors determine the relaxed length of a spring?

The relaxed length of a spring depends on its material, diameter, and number of coils. These factors affect the spring's stiffness and therefore its resting length.

2. How is the relaxed length of a spring measured?

The relaxed length of a spring is typically measured by removing any external forces and allowing the spring to come to rest. The distance between the two ends of the spring is then measured and this is considered the relaxed length.

3. Can the relaxed length of a spring change over time?

Yes, the relaxed length of a spring can change over time due to factors such as material fatigue, temperature changes, and exposure to external forces.

4. How does the relaxed length of a spring affect its function?

The relaxed length of a spring determines its overall stiffness and ability to resist deformation. A shorter relaxed length means a stiffer spring, while a longer relaxed length means a more flexible spring.

5. How can the relaxed length of a spring be adjusted?

The relaxed length of a spring can be adjusted by changing its material, diameter, or number of coils. It can also be altered by applying external forces or by stretching or compressing the spring.