What would happen if you moved a black hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of moving a black hole and how it would affect the fabric of space-time. It is mentioned that black holes are often considered tears in the fabric of the universe, but this is not a widely accepted concept. The conversation also touches on the concept of fields and how they describe interactions between objects in space and time. Ultimately, it is concluded that the only significant change from replacing the Sun with a black hole would be a decrease in light.
GA470
Ignoring for the moment the plausibility of this scenario, what would happen? A black hole is the ultimate gravity well, right? In some circles, they're even considered tears in the fabric of the universe. So what would happen to that fabric if you moved the black hole?

Would it behave like, for instance, air or water currents do when an object passes through it? Or would it move as if it were "friction-less," for lack of a better term?

Keep in mind, I'm pretty ignorant. I just had this idea and wanted an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
GA470 said:
In some circles, they're even considered tears in the fabric of the universe.

probably not in any mainstream science circles that I am aware of
please provide a valid source for that claim
if you cannot, then there isn't really any point discussing sci fi

Not really relevant to the question, more of a flavor text than anything. The question still remains: what would happen if you moved a black hole? Better yet, what is happening because the black holes are moving? How is space-time reacting to that movement?

Please keep in mind, I'm the ignorant one, as I admitted frankly and without qualification in my initial post. It would be kind of hard to cite a fact that I myself admitted I don't have. If I'm wrong, I'd value a correction over a dismissal.

GA470 said:
Not really relevant to the question, more of a flavor text than anything. The question still remains: what would happen if you moved a black hole? Better yet, what is happening because the black holes are moving? How is space-time reacting to that movement?

Please keep in mind, I'm the ignorant one, as I admitted frankly and without qualification in my initial post. It would be kind of hard to cite a fact that I myself admitted I don't have. If I'm wrong, I'd value a correction over a dismissal.

There isn't really anything special about a black hole moving, any more than any other object moving. For example, if you could compress a planet to a tiny black hole, then it would continue to orbit the Sun in the same orbit as before.

Likewise, any black hole moves in response to the gravity of other objects, such as stars, planets and, of course, other black holes.

Likes davenn
GA470 said:

Well, space-time is modeled as a type of field, and a field is simply a mathematical way of describing interactions between objects (or even other fields) by way of assigning values to points in space and time. The values can describe something like a vector force, as the classical E&M field does, or it can describe the very complicated geometrical properties of space-time. The motion of a black hole just means that these values change. Once the BH moves past a region the values (may) return to their previous states, or at least something close to their previous states.

Drakkith said:
Well, space-time is modeled as a type of field, and a field is simply a mathematical way of describing interactions between objects (or even other fields) by way of assigning values to points in space and time. The values can describe something like a vector force, as the classical E&M field does, or it can describe the very complicated geometrical properties of space-time. The motion of a black hole just means that these values change. Once the BH moves past a region the values (may) return to their previous states, or at least something close to their previous states.

Thanks for the replies, you guys, that pretty much answers my question. Especially the part about the nature of fields.

Thanks again for entertaining a rube like me.

It's perhaps worth pointing out that in many ways black holes are so extraordinary simply because they are so small. They are small enough to let an observer get close to the centre of mass where peculiar things happen, but at "normal" distances from the centre of mass space-time is pretty much as we'd expect it to be. If the Sun was (magically) replaced by a black hole of the same mass (and didn't emit torrents of Hawking radiation) the only obvious effect on the rest of the solar system would be that it had got dark.

John Park said:
It's perhaps worth pointing out that in many ways black holes are so extraordinary simply because they are so small.

really ? what is your definition of small ? ...
I doubt that that is an accurate statement considering for example, the BH at the centre of our galaxy is estimated to be in the order of hundreds of thousands to billions of solar masses

Physical size is going to vary and for BH's that continue to accumulate mass, they will continue to grow in size

Last edited:
really ? what is your definition of small ? ...

Something movable? Okay, I wasn't thinking of supermassive black holes. But stellar-mass black holes have radii of a few km, to tens of km, which is small by most astronomical standards.

John Park said:
(and didn't emit torrents of Hawking radiation)
It wouldn't. Hawking radiation is black-body radiation, and the effective "temperature" of the surface of a black hole is inversely proportional to the mass. A sun-sized black hole has a temperature of only a few nanokelvins, so is "colder" than the space around it; it absorbs more energy from the cosmic background radiation than it emits as Hawking radiation.

Likes davenn
GA470 said:
. The question still remains: what would happen if you moved a black hole?

It would be somewhere else. That's pretty much it - nothing special happens.

To add to Nugatory's response, the sun's luminosity would be 55 orders of magnitude less if it were a black hole. The luminosity would be one octillionth of a watt.

All motion is relative, therefore, moving a black hole is equivalent to moving yourself, so conduct an experiment...

1. Move.
2. Record your observations.

Likes rumborak

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

2. Can black holes move?

Yes, black holes can move. They can be dragged around by the rotation of the galaxy or by other black holes merging with them. However, they do not move at a significant speed and their movement is difficult to detect.

3. What would happen if you moved a black hole?

If you moved a black hole, its gravitational pull would still be the same. However, its location in space would be different, which could affect the objects and bodies orbiting around it. It could also potentially collide with other objects in its new location.

4. Is it possible to move a black hole?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to move a black hole as they are extremely massive and have a gravitational pull that is trillions of times stronger than the Earth's. However, in theory, it may be possible to move a black hole by using advanced technology and energy sources that we do not currently possess.

5. What would happen if a black hole came close to Earth?

If a black hole were to come close to Earth, the gravitational pull would be incredibly strong and could potentially disrupt the orbit of the Earth and other planets. The Earth could also be torn apart due to the immense force of the black hole's gravity. However, the likelihood of a black hole coming close enough to Earth to cause any significant effects is extremely low.