What would the other villager tell me to do in order to reach my destination?

For example, "What would you say if I asked you which road leads to the village?" or "If I wanted to get to the village, which road would you tell me to take?" This way, the villager's answer will reveal their truth-telling or lying nature.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Each inhabitant of a remote village always tells the truth or always lies. A villager will only give a "yes or a "no" response to a question a tourist asks. Suppose that you are a tourist visiting this are and come to a fork in the road. One branch leads to where you want to go, and the other leads to the deep jungle. A villager is standing at a fork in the road. What question can you ask the villager to determine which branch to take?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start. For these types of logic puzzles, I am not sure if there exists some systematic way to deduce a question to ask based on propositional logic and truth tables, or if you just have to come up with one through trial and error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I am not sure where to start. For these types of logic puzzles, I am not sure if there exists some systematic way to deduce a question to ask based on propositional logic and truth tables, or if you just have to come up with one through trial and error.
I agree. I know the answer to this one but I didn't get it, had to be told (about 50 years ago --- it's an oldie). Once you know the trick, many such become easy.

There may BE a way, but if so, I've never figured it out. Hope someone else has and will post it.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Each inhabitant of a remote village always tells the truth or always lies. A villager will only give a "yes or a "no" response to a question a tourist asks. Suppose that you are a tourist visiting this are and come to a fork in the road. One branch leads to where you want to go, and the other leads to the deep jungle. A villager is standing at a fork in the road. What question can you ask the villager to determine which branch to take?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is one of those standard puzzles (a real "oldie") whose solution is blindingly obvious once somebody tells you the answer, but is almost un-doable otherwilse. It is also one of those question for which the PF rules about supplying hints only (not complete solutions) is so restrictive that even giving a hint seems impossible---the whole solution, or nothing.

Last edited:
I think I did come up with a way to give a hint without giving away the answer. It may be too close to the answer but as Ray just said, it is almost undo-able if you don't know the trick. Think of how you can embed two questions in one such that the end result will be the same for the liar and the truther.

There is also the approach which guarantees at least a moral victory. "Please lead me to the village, where I hear there is free beer today"

It might help to ask a hypothetical question rather than a direct question about the roads.

1. What is a yes/no logic puzzle?

A yes/no logic puzzle is a type of puzzle that requires the solver to use deductive reasoning to determine the correct answer to a question that can be answered with a "yes" or "no". It typically involves a series of clues that must be analyzed to arrive at the solution.

2. How do I solve a yes/no logic puzzle?

To solve a yes/no logic puzzle, you must carefully read and analyze each clue to eliminate incorrect options and narrow down the possible solutions. It may also help to create a visual diagram or table to organize the information.

3. What are some strategies for solving yes/no logic puzzles?

Some strategies for solving yes/no logic puzzles include: starting with the simplest clues, making educated guesses based on the information given, and looking for patterns or connections between the clues. It's also important to keep track of the information you have already used to avoid repeating it.

4. Are there different types of yes/no logic puzzles?

Yes, there are various types of yes/no logic puzzles, including grid-based puzzles, lateral thinking puzzles, and riddles. Each type may have its own unique approach to solving it, but they all require logical thinking and deduction.

5. Where can I find more yes/no logic puzzles to solve?

There are many resources available for finding yes/no logic puzzles, including puzzle books, websites, and apps. You can also create your own puzzles using logical thinking and creativity. Additionally, many puzzle enthusiasts share their own original puzzles online for others to solve.