1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did I do this CS logic problem right?

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    Hi everybody, I just want to check to make sure I did this problem right. I know the answer I just need to make sure I did it formally.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem goes like this: a logician is on an island with two groups of people truth-tellers and liars. He meets three individuals, A, B and C. A says something he can't understand, B says "A said he is a liar" and C says "B is telling a lie." Truth-tellers only tell the truth and liars only lie. I was asked to answer this question: Which category do B and C belong? Can you tell anything about the category A fits in?

My solution, is this correct?
    Here ] = negation/not, -> is implication(if/then), and ^ is logical and.
    Propositions I came up with:
    A: I am a liar
    B: A said he is a liar
    C: B is the liar

I thought it out beforehand and C is telling the truth. If A said he is a liar and this is true then he is a truth-teller which means he isn't a liar(a contradiction) and hence B is wrong and therefore C is correct.

I formalized it has such:

( (A -> ]A) ^ (B -> (A ^ ]C)) ^ (C -> (]A ^ ]B))

I did a truth table and besides one impossible answer I got C to work out right and nothing else to be true. But is this the right formula afterall?

I do not want any answers I just want to know if I'm doing it right. And maybe if your feeling kind you can tell me where to look next if I'm doing it wrong.

Again, I know the answer I just need help formalizing it or rather checking my answer.

Thanks for all of your time!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2
    you posted a setup about truth tellers and liars but you never mentioned what you're trying to find or solve for

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    Darn!!! That's what late nights and early mornings do to a person ha. I was asked to answer this question: Which category do B and C belong? Can you tell anything about the category A fits in?

5. Sep 15, 2010 #4
    for this scenario, no one can say, "I am a liar." if someone is a liar and says it, he told the truth, and if someone is a truth teller and says it, he told a lie. Therefore, B is lying. As such, C must be telling the truth. There is no way to say if A is a truthteller or a liar.

6. Sep 15, 2010 #5
    Cool. I think I know how to fix it now. Thanks a bunch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook